Slaved sb700 with D7000

MitchStrp

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have got it slaved and all figured out and it works well. I have it set up so the pop up flash has to be up in order for the flash to fire. My question is, is there a way to turn the pop up flash off and still fire my ocf? I dont mind if the pop up is up I just dont want it to fire. In the menu I have set the pop flash to both hashes ( Not in Manual or TTL) I thought that would do it but turns out it didnt. Any help guys?

I have got it slaved and all figured out and it works well. I have it set up so the pop up flash has to be up in order for the flash to fire. My question is, is there a way to turn the pop up flash off and still fire my ocf? I dont mind if the pop up is up I just dont want it to fire. In the menu I have set the pop flash to both hashes ( Not in Manual or TTL) I thought that would do it but turns out it didnt. Any help guys?

Is your camera in manual mode?

yes it is and the pop up flash still fires

... i thought that was what the commander mode was all about,but I tried to play with it a little with about the same success you have.I want to say I should have explored more,but I didn't.Good luck,and hopefully someone will chime in. ;)

Make sure you have line of sight and follow these steps...

Last edited by a moderator:
The SB700 will only respond to an optical signal when slaved wirelessly via nikon CLS (ie, no radio poppers). For that to work the pop-up flash has to fire, no getting around that. In metered slave mode via nikon CLS the pop-up will fire a pre-flash and when set to zero the pop-up will have minimal effect on the exposure.

.....thanks,j-dub,patrice.I went ahead and bought radio triggers,but it did kind of bother me.As it turns out,I was doing right.I guess in my haste,I didn't realize it was an optical system.

I have a Paul C. Buff radio trigger.. will that trigger these flashes or are those PCB specific or does nikon operate on a different frequency ?

Set the pop-up flash to OFF (I think. It could just be the two dash marks). The internal flash has to fire to synch the other flashes, but when it is set to off it will not fire when the shutter is open and will not affect the exposure.

Yeah, the pop up flash has to communicate with the SB700 through pre-flashes that don't contribute much if anything to the exposure. If you don't like the pre-flashes you can use a SU-800 which communicates with slave flashes using infra-red and works pretty well.

I was watching a youtube video today about how to get around the popup flash effecting the photo when you must use it to trigger the off camera flash. What you do is block the flash with a credit card; angled so the off camera flash will still be triggered but your subject matter will not be painted with pop up light. Just thought I would let people know for future people that read the thread!

Thomas

it's a pre flash. if you watch closely (not thru viewfinder) you'll see the popup go off before the off camera flashes. test it, also by shooting
in the dark in the opposite direction of your off camera flashes. the popup is over before the shutter even opens.

I've had my popup set to CMD and --- which means it doesn't contribute anything. A few times I've forgotten that it was set that way and tried using it as my main flash in a pinch. The shots came out all black!

Most reactions

Back