Slideshow picture quality poor

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
For years I have made slideshows of my various trips. Recently the quality of the images is turning out quite poor. I have tried different slide show makers with no luck.

Which is best to export on DVD---BLURAY---AVCHD----SD CARD .

Can't help with that but welcome. I'm sure someone will have answers.

You don't say what's "poor" about the images. Low resolution? Bad color? Aspect ratio distorted? Has anything changed in how you make the shows from ones you approve of to those you don't?

Hiya
My first step would be to start from the images you are using look at the image quality
Are you using fresh images or re using used images... see note at bottom
Then go through your entire work flow like you are waiting someone else, looking for fault
Ask why.....why are those settings where they are
If you do something a lot it’s easy to just follow what you did before where as the first time you do something you are looking at everything to make sure it’s right.
Settings can get altered options changed
Saving the final version
What do you want to use it for... my program has a number of options and explains what option is for what
Tv, web, computer, ect
Are you coping files a lot,
Jpg files suffer loss of detail every time they are saved, like trying to photocopy a photocopy over and over
Detail is lost. Tiff files don’t suffer the same.

You don't say what's "poor" about the images. Low resolution? Bad color? Aspect ratio distorted? Has anything changed in how you make the shows from ones you approve of to those you don't?
Video noise---some flicker-- unstable image

Are you just dumping the video from the caemra to the DVD? Or using a video procesing software?

If the later, note that AVCHD is 4K 3840-2160. You could do 4K in H264 MP4. But you probably need a BluRay player. Also, it might not be fast enough so I now dump the 4K on a SD memory card that handles AVCHD and 4K speed like your video camera and plug it into the USB jack of the smart 4K TV.

I'd stick to 2K 1920x1080 HD also with H264 MP4 for DVD's on regular DVD players. Let the TV uprez them to 4K. Doubt if you'll notice any difference unless you get close to the screen. This way you can play it on regular 2K TV's. DVD also limit you to 4gb. SO longer video shows will be too long for DVD's in 4K while they would fit if you made them 2K.

Regarding video noise and flicker, what software are you using to assemble the video show? How are you playing back the show? From where? (DVD? YouTUbe? etc?)

AVCHD is a Sony format. The DVD player might not handle it directly. You may have to convert it to the aforementioned formats in my past post. Check the specs for the DVD player and TV. Sony cameras I believe plug into TV's for playback through the camera So that might work. But it probably won't work thru a DVD player.

Are you just dumping the video from the caemra to the DVD? Or using a video procesing software?

If the later, note that AVCHD is 4K 3840-2160. You could do 4K in H264 MP4. But you probably need a BluRay player. Also, it might not be fast enough so I now dump the 4K on a SD memory card that handles AVCHD and 4K speed like your video camera and plug it into the USB jack of the smart 4K TV.

I'd stick to 2K 1920x1080 HD also with H264 MP4 for DVD's on regular DVD players. Let the TV uprez them to 4K. Doubt if you'll notice any difference unless you get close to the screen. This way you can play it on regular 2K TV's. DVD also limit you to 4gb. SO longer video shows will be too long for DVD's in 4K while they would fit if you made them 2K.

Regarding video noise and flicker, what software are you using to assemble the video show? How are you playing back the show? From where? (DVD? YouTUbe? etc?)
I use the MAGIX software and play a dvd on my 4K tv.

I use the MAGIX software and play a dvd on my 4K tv.
Larry, What is the resolution on the DVD, not the TV? What format codex etc does MAGIX create onto the DVD?

A Blu-ray player is not going to have 4K output, and I seriously doubt it could even see a 4K disc. A DVD player isn't even going to see an HD format disk, although some can upscale on HDMI to HD. As far as I know, for a player to have any 4K awareness, it needs to be a 4K Blu-ray player.

Video noise, flicker, unstable image, and loss of detail are all artifacts of resolution mismatch somewhere in the workflow or playback chain.

What output does MAGIX say it's doing? You should see choices for resolution (480p, 1080P, or 2160P, etc.) file type (MP4, WMV, AVI, etc.) intended media (DVD, Blu-ray, and so on.) How does it convert the images to video; do you have to get the images down to video resolution first, or does MAGIX do that? is there any point at which you're actually UPconverting, i.e. using a higher resolution than your original images?

A Blu-ray player is not going to have 4K output, and I seriously doubt it could even see a 4K disc. A DVD player isn't even going to see an HD format disk, although some can upscale on HDMI to HD. As far as I know, for a player to have any 4K awareness, it needs to be a 4K Blu-ray player.

Video noise, flicker, unstable image, and loss of detail are all artifacts of resolution mismatch somewhere in the workflow or playback chain.

What output does MAGIX say it's doing? You should see choices for resolution (480p, 1080P, or 2160P, etc.) file type (MP4, WMV, AVI, etc.) intended media (DVD, Blu-ray, and so on.) How does it convert the images to video; do you have to get the images down to video resolution first, or does MAGIX do that? is there any point at which you're actually UPconverting, i.e. using a higher resolution than your original images?
A regular DVD player can see 2K 1080 with menus and play it back. Maybe not all players. But mine do. I've created for many years 1080 2K with menus recorded on a regular DVD-R and DVD-RW and played back on a regular DVD player or on a BluRay 4K player. I've used 1080i with menus recorded AVCHD H.264 M2ts onto a DVD. I create (publish) the show in the computer first. Then copy the two folders onto the DVD. All 1080. I see the menus and can select the chapter from the menu home page. Since my computer does not have a BluRay writer, I've never tried any of this with a B-R disk, only standard DVD-R's. I bought the 4k B-R player for playing back commercial B-R movies. Of course it also playbacks DVD's.

However, 4K stream on a DVD played back on my 4K player tends to back up because there's too much data. I think I tried it at both 60mbps and 100mbps streams. And both back up the stream because the 4K player can't read or process a regular DVD fast enough. Also, you can't create menus with 4K 2160. So I've dropped making 1080 with menus and just make a stream of 4k 2160 dumped on a memory card connected to the smart TV's USB input.

When I first started using Adobe Premiere Elements, the tech support told me to select 720x480 NTSC with or without menus. I don't think he realized you can actually do it with 1080. For some reason, 1080p gave me troubles. Also, the generation of the movie (Publish) would often fail if done directly onto the DVD disk. So I'd create it into the computer's hard drive first. Then copy the files onto a rewritable DVD and try it. If it worked and everything looked good, I'd copy the same files from the computer and make a permanent copy onto a DVD-R disk. It would play on a regular DVD player.

Finally, if you create 2K 1080, the smart TV will uprez it to 4K as will a 4k B-R player. Frankly, unless to get close to the TV, 2k uprezed to 4k looks almost as good as 4k. If you want menus and only have a DVD player, stick with 2K.

I wasn't even thinking about files on an optical ROM disk, I was assuming he was making them in native playback format for the media, i.e. a DVD playing 480p video, which is all the DVD standard will do. I haven't tried anything else as I haven't made discs in years and years, I now stream from USB3 hard disks connected to HD or 4K players.

Most reactions

Back