Slightly missed focus

Eventer - generally different photographers atop different strategies.

I find that most of the time they want a similar shot - taking two shots only is certainly doable, but you've got to nail that split second of the jump that you want captured. If you can great go for it!

However some prefer to use the burst mode to get a series of shots. Most of the time key shot is going to be one of the first 3 frames, but sometimes that split second between the shutter press and the last frame is just what they want/need.

It really doesn't matter so long as you remember both methods have advantages and disadvantages:

Take few shots and you've a lot less card space demand (cheaper on cards); and less shots to work through in editing (potential for quicker workflow).
Downside is if you miss the shot chances are you won't have another of the jump for that horse. Now you can mitigate this if you shoot more than one jump on the course; however if you fail you fail and you won't get a shot for that rider on that course to sell (plus side is its not a wedding so its unlikely to sue or bite you hard - though clearly if you miss too many you're losing potential income).

Take many shots and you've got the advantage of having more of a bracket of the event; ergo more chance to get that split second shot you want. Downside is that you're going to have bigger demand on card space and a bigger demand on harddrive storage and on editing (even if you're editing the same number of shots you've still got lots to pick through).

Thats sounds about right - Thanks so much for your help :)
I assumed what you've just said but also thought maybe there is a key strategy I not using as 80% of equestrian photographers opt for the burst technique!
I'm too scared to shoot weddings at this stage! I do assist on weddings though sometimes and I love it! but so much pressure! I'd love to take it seriously after I can do some gear upgrading next year perhaps :)

Yep - another thought is that if you're doing a burst you've more chance of getting the rider without a silly look on their face. A horse will tend to have its ears forward for the whole jump or not (least from what little I've seen) whilst a riders face can go through a whole range of looks as they leap over (oddly I find many look bored as they come into land - often after being terrified at the leap)

I find that I can have the first frame out a bit, the second one in and then it's hit and miss on others, it is as if the camera is firing faster than the lens can focus, in my case it's shooting a runner that is coming straight at me.

Yep coming straight at you is pretty much the hardest thing to focus (right alongside subjects with little contrast variation) for the camera as its constantly got to make changes. High end bodies and lenses in good light can do remarkably well, however even they can slip-up. It's certainly a situation where a small burst of shots can be the difference between fail and pass.

Hey Eventer, I'm just up the road from you in Rangiora.
I have a 70-200 2.8 vr11, if you'd like to try one out before you buy one. I'm more than happy for you to have ago.
It works great on a d7000 as that is what I had up to last weekend.

Hey Roba that would be amazing! I'm not in a position to buy one just yet unfortunately but when i am considering it more Id love to have a play with one :D
didn't you just post about a 2nd body and 24-70/2.8 lens for weddings ?

Me? Nope, but I did post last week I got rid of my D7000 for a D3S.
Sports for me, not weddings.

Eventer, no problem, just message me and were meet up.

Most reactions

Back