"sloppy" feeling on my 18-135: is this "normal"

Mr.Grumpy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A week ago, or so, my Beautiful Wife dumped my 60D out of the car, lens first. The camera is fine. Not a scratch in fact. The Stock EF-S 18-135 IS that came in the kit, however, was toast. Crushed. Busted. So, I drug myself inside and "won" a "barely used" replacement on e-bay that night and it got here a few days ago.

It's got "a lot" of play in the barrel. All the way from 18-85mm it's wobbly. Right after you zoom past that 85mm point it firms up and is pretty solid as you get up to 135mm. I don't "remember" the old one being this sloppy. Of course, I wasn't LOOKING for any thing to be wrong with that lens as I bought it "brand new". I have been scouring the 'net for reports of sloppiness (or non-sloppyness) in general of the EF-S !8-135, but the only thing I found was a report that it's "solid" at 135mm. Just like mine.

I understand that this is a kit lens that came with Rebels, X0Ds and the 7D. If any of you have one of these bad boys can you go wiggle it around a little bit and tell me if mine "should" be a little wiggly?

KTHANKSBYE.

A week ago, or so, my Beautiful Wife dumped my 60D out of the car, lens first. The camera is fine. Not a scratch in fact. The Stock EF-S 18-135 IS that came in the kit, however, was toast. Crushed. Busted. So, I drug myself inside and "won" a "barely used" replacement on e-bay that night and it got here a few days ago.

It's got "a lot" of play in the barrel. All the way from 18-85mm it's wobbly. Right after you zoom past that 85mm point it firms up and is pretty solid as you get up to 135mm. I don't "remember" the old one being this sloppy. Of course, I wasn't LOOKING for any thing to be wrong with that lens as I bought it "brand new". I have been scouring the 'net for reports of sloppiness (or non-sloppyness) in general of the EF-S !8-135, but the only thing I found was a report that it's "solid" at 135mm. Just like mine.

I understand that this is a kit lens that came with Rebels, X0Ds and the 7D. If any of you have one of these bad boys can you go wiggle it around a little bit and tell me if mine "should" be a little wiggly?

KTHANKSBYE.

Sounds like you might want to consider sending this back for a refund

Most reactions

New Topics

Back