Slot Canyons

Discussion in 'Photo Themes' started by DM Larson, Aug 12, 2015.

1. waday

waday Do one thing every day that scares you Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Seriously, gorgeous shots. I want to be there right now! I think the Upper and Lower Antelope Canyon shots are some of my favorites of these sets, but it's so hard finding favorites here (because there are too many favorites)! :586:

• Like Like x 1
  2. otherprof

otherprof TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The "Subway in Zion" shots were my favorite, probably because of the range of colors. Enjoyed all the sets, and it looks like you had very tricky lighting to deal with in a number of cases. Do you go on these shoots alone? And do you worry about flash floods?

• Like Like x 1
  3. DM Larson

DM Larson TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks! I also enjoyed the variety of colors in the Subway, and especially like the green water. Yes the lighting is very tough, there is a huge dynamic range from the shadows to the highest lights. I try hard to avoid direct light in my shooting in slots because those will be blown out. I use mirrorless cameras and rely heavily on the live view to expose close for the highlights. Then in processing I try to recover as much of the details as possible. In the Subway I was with a group of 4. There were some repels and some swimming, both of which I am not good at, so I would only have done this in a group. Some easy canyons I do by myself, some other easy canyons I take my wife and kids with me. I only ever go into a slot canyon when the forecast is sunny and 0% chance of rain, even then I keep a somewhat nervous eye on the sky as I am driving and hiking towards the slot.

4. Mach1320

Mach1320 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

These are awesome ! I'd love to wander around that place.

• Like Like x 1