Slowest SP hand held you can shoot?

So anyone have a sharp shot taken hand held with an 800 F/5.6 at 1/100 ?? Would love to see one :) :) :)

Danny.

lol, after knowing what lens you use, I challenge you to post one at 800mm at any shutter speed.. ;) I do have one at 1200mm at 1/160th, advantage of having a P&S :D

Depends on the focal length of the lens and the conditions. With a short lens (24,35) it's often possible to get a 1/6 second shot that's good, and usable because the magnification is so low. NOT EVERY FRAME is going to be equally sharp when "pushing it" on speed. Shake is a random event almost...sometimes 1 out of ten shots are good. If you take enough shots, like say 9,10 frames, often ONE will be surprisingly sharp and steady, even at ridiculous speeds, if everything sort of "comes together". Even crazy combos, like say 300mm at 1/20 second, once in a while, can produce a real keeper, buuuut, surrounding frames might well be garbage. A couple weeks ago I got a single good frame at twilight at 145mm at 1/20 second at ISO 1600 at f/2.8 with my 80-200 AFS. I wanted the shot, so I took a dozen frames, most were not good enough, but ONE look almost like it had been tripod-mounted and was SHARP!!. Got 75% keepers of so by switching to my 35mm f/2 lens at f/2.8 at 1/15 second when the scene changed a bit, so like 3 of 4 were usable. Fired off a dozen or so frames of that scene.

My personal 'best' was using Kodachrome 25. Using that slow of film, back before VR had even been conceived, teaches good technique.

(BTW, if you really want to learn good technique, take up shooting firearms)

1/8 sec, 28mm:

Abandonedhouseatsunsetpost.jpg

1/2 sec, 50mm macro:

AsterPost.jpg

1-1/2 seconds, 50mm:

TheRiveriaPost.jpg

One technique taught to me by a marksman, is one of breathing. Where you exhale and hold the exhale, then when your body says its time to take the next breath is when you take the shot. Apparently that is when your body is at its most still, while it waits for the next intake of breath. Of course, this needs to be used in conjunction with bracing yourself against something, elbows in etc... But i have found the hit rate to increase quite substantially when using this technique.

Proper "shooting" technique definitely helps. ;) I personally have no fear of slow shutter speeds with super duper ultra wide angles like the 14mm or the 15mm fisheye. For example, this was shot handheld at 1/10th, 14mm (on FF), iso 6400:

This was taken while standing on the deck of a ferry boat; 48mm, 1/6th second shutter speed:
Granted if I'd have been paying attention to my shutter speed on that second one I would have raised my iso a couple of stops. :confused::blushing::lol:

Depends on focal... No sorry, depends if I have beer in me or not

This is a skill that has definitely not improved with age for me. I used to get down to about 1/5 using a 50mm lens on 35mm format. These days, I'm just too shaky.

I managed to beat my old record by a large margin recently. Not standing, but leaning out of a window which is similar, 60 seconds and no sign of camera shake!
asset.php

Mind you the sheet lightning did help rather! Anyone now whats the guide no for sheet lightning? :wink:

It depends on the camera as well. I can go lower with one of my rangefinders because there's no mirror slap to worry about. I've gone down to 1/15 with no problem. My rangefinders don't have anything between 1/15 and B, so I'm not sure if I could do something in between.

I did take this handheld with an SLR - can't remember if it was at 1/2 or a full second - though admittedly, I was squatting down and bracing my elbows against my knees:

Smooth water by limrodrigues, on Flickr

Does 1/125 at 238,900 miles count?

$14336090509_082f4fbb7b_b.jpg

So anyone have a sharp shot taken hand held with an 800 F/5.6 at 1/100 ?? Would love to see one :) :) :)

Danny.

I have one with my 1DX and a Canon EF 600mm F/4 IS USM Handheld @ F/5.6 1/60th ISO 3500 and a Better Beamer Flash head on my EX600RT.

$255438_393902707348693_828977945_n.jpg

I get tired hand holding that lens, And IS wont help you that much when hand holding the canon 600mm witch is close to the 800mm in size.

I will put a 2x converter on it and snap some shots later hand held and post them.

When I was 19 I had a job similar to hand holding a camera. Used breathing exercises and breath holding. I still employ the same principles. Below was a yacht a friend and I were taking north for the summer from Ft Lauderdale. Pic was for the owner. As mentioned, focal length is crucial to success. Location was a marina in Myrtle Beach, when the weather offshore forced us inside. markII, 60mm, f5, 1/4 second, holding breath shortly after hyperventilating. Works for me.
mascottesmall_zps131319d0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

When I was 19 I had a job similar to hand holding a camera. Used breathing exercises and breath holding. I still employ the same principles. Below was a yacht a friend and I were taking north for the summer from Ft Lauderdale. Pic was for the owner. As mentioned, focal length is crucial to success. Location was a marina in Myrtle Beach, when the weather offshore forced us inside. markII, 60mm, f5, 1/4 second, holding breath shortly after hyperventilating. Works for me.
mascottesmall_zps131319d0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sniper :wink:

I've successfully shot as slow as 1/10th, hand held, with the 24-105 f4L IS lens wide open. Having a lens with IS helps. As I'm typically shooting in the 40-105mm range, faster shutter speeds are needed to stop camera shake.

The issue becomes 'how slow can you go?" and still have keepers. In general - at least for this old geezer - anything shot at 1/125th and slower might end up with some camera shake, and, of course, subject movement blur. At 1/60th, my non-blur keeper rate is perhaps 1 out of 2 or 3. At 1/30th, 1 out of 5-6. At 1/15th, less than 1 in 10. At 1/10th, MAYBE 1 in 20, on a good day.

And with my non-IS 80-200 f2.8L, anything slower than 1/160th at 200mm is a recipe for 'throw away'. Getting old, fat, bald, somewhat deaf, somewhat blind, and shaky to boot DOES take it's toll on my photography!

$DP-10.jpg

Most reactions

Back