Small and light, and cheap vs. Metal Body and Professional looking, AND new VS Used

fotoflo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm a pro photographer currently using an Olympus OM1 (which is built like a rock and small and sturdy and I love it), but I need to buy a DSLR because I think my clients look down on me for still shooting film with my old school camera.

I am torn between the D50 or D40 (both of which do everything i need, but maybe the d40 is no good because of the lack of a motorized auto-focus) and the D200, which looks more professional and has a metal body.

I travel, rather hardcore - like motorcyle trips across mongolia - and i had Panasonic DMC FZ20 which died on my last road trip. So I am also concerned about reliability.

ALSO, i saw a used D100 for the same price as a new D40.... anything i should be careful about there?

thanks
-fotoflo

fotoflo.livejournal.com

I travel, rather hardcore - like motorcyle trips across mongolia - and i had Panasonic DMC FZ20 which died on my last road trip. So I am also concerned about reliability.

Go for the most weather sealed, shock DSLR camera you can afford. Whatever DSLR you choose, get a Pelican case for it too. That'll protect it from water and dust and hopefully some of the vibration. I'd carry a fully mechanical film camera back-up. Pro level DSLRs are built to handle rough stuff, but they are still electronic, and electronics can fail walking across the room. It would suck to be in beautiful Mongolia without a working camera.

Personally I would think clients would expect a rugged adventurer to use an old school mechanical 35mm SLR on his Mongolian motorcycle treks.

I think I would ask my clients to judge my images, not my camera. The D100 sounds like a good idea. It is rugged and weather sealed.

Definately go for one of the pro models that have a metal body and seals to the elements well. Your described use/environment warrants the extra expense. Having been a motorcyclist and traveled backroads, I can attest to the tough environment for a camera.

Most reactions

Back