Small mix of seabirds

All are nice. Is there a great difference in a 500mm telephoto and a 600mm telephoto?

Thanks,

the price! hehe

On the Tamron 150-600, 500mm is sharp, but 600 is a bit soft (hand held at least), you still get a good quality image though. On a crop body 600 is effectively 900, which is crazy close and allows you to be further from the subject.

[...On a crop body 600 is effectively 900, which is crazy close and allows you to be further from the subject.
Ehhh... this is a common misconception. With respect to to the focal length or "crop" factor issue, on a 1.5 crop-frame camera, while a 600mm lens will give a field-of-view equivalent to that of a 900mm lens, there is no extra magnification. All that happens is the field of view is reduced and because of the crop factor an illusion is created which makes it appear as though you are closer, but if you do a comparison of subject size, assuming all factors are constant, between a full-frame and a crop frame camera, the subject will be the same size in both.

[...On a crop body 600 is effectively 900, which is crazy close and allows you to be further from the subject.
Ehhh... this is a common misconception. With respect to to the focal length or "crop" factor issue, on a 1.5 crop-frame camera, while a 600mm lens will give a field-of-view equivalent to that of a 900mm lens, there is no extra magnification. All that happens is the field of view is reduced and because of the crop factor an illusion is created which makes it appear as though you are closer, but if you do a comparison of subject size, assuming all factors are constant, between a full-frame and a crop frame camera, the subject will be the same size in both.

I can see how that implies that cos of the crop factor you can stand further away... but that's now what I meant. When I was referring to standing further away that was with regards to the question by Dean_Gretsch, but thanks for taking the time to clear that up.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back