Small size "Darkroom"?

tevo

Recovering TPF Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am interested in starting to shoot film, as well as developing it. However, I have very little space for a 'Darkroom'. I have been told by friends that I can develop 35mm film in a relatively small container, and then simply scan the negatives and use them. Can someone point me in the right direction? I have zero experience with developing film / working with negatives / scanning negatives, and have next to no clue what I should get. I am also looking to stay as small as possible as I have very little room.

I am interested in starting to shoot film, as well as developing it. However, I have very little space for a 'Darkroom'. I have been told by friends that I can develop 35mm film in a relatively small container, and then simply scan the negatives and use them. Can someone point me in the right direction? I have zero experience with developing film / working with negatives / scanning negatives, and have next to no clue what I should get. I am also looking to stay as small as possible as I have very little room.

If you have zero experience I would recommend taking a class first.

But also go over and check out the forums at APUG (Analog Photography User Group) you will find much more info there about developing film.

http://apug.org

A class is not needed, maybe beneficial, but not needed.
There are several threads on this topic in the film section of this forum.
I recently started developing my own black and white film, trust me its not that hard to learn, but once you start can be very addicting.

As Canuk suggests, try looking through the film and darkroom sections of this forum then come back with your questions on what you have read. Those questions are much easier to answer than general questions, which will get general replies repeating what is already here on the forum. You could also ask the friends who have told you about film developing to show you what they do. Google searches work well. Have a look at the Ilford site: First B&W Film Dev link

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Compur :popcorn:

The only thing I would say is, I'd take a small dark closet over the bag for loading the tank, but that's just my preference.

I vote for the closet as well. If you sit in a dark closet for a couple of minutes before you start and you can't see any light at all, then you know it's safe. I'm not sure how you can be certain a bag doesn't have any light leaks.

I've looked into how the developing process works, so my questions at this point are:

What is the best option for a small developing tank? I may start shooting MF as well, but as of now I shoot 35mm.

What is the ideal temperature / time for Developer?

I don't plan on enlarging or anything, I want to develop the negatives and then scan them to be used digitally; Can someone suggest a good film scanner for a couple hundred dollars?

I like plastic reels. I used stainless steel for years and years, and when I finally went plastic, it was as if the clouds had parted and the angels began to sing. Adorama has a "two reels, one tank, can use it for 35mm or 120 film" kit for something like $30 which is what I use. B&H probably has something similar, as does your favorite vendor. Plastic reels need to be REALLY REALLY COMPLETELY DRY before you start loading film onto them. If you plan to develop a lot of film at one time, roll after roll, all afternoon, get good quality stainless steel reels and a stainless steel tank. Otherwise, get the plastic auto-loading reels (or whatever the call them).

68 degrees F is the standard temperature for b&w development. Color film is done hotter.

Film used to come with a developing chart with times and temperatures. Even if it no longer does, I'm sure the manufacturer's web site would provide one. They usually indicate an optimum, which as Molitor says is mostly 68F, but there may be films out there that have a different one. In any event, a degree or two one way or the other should give you good results as long as you adjust the time accordingly.

I was quite lucky when I did film. My house had a fairly large closet just off the LR which I took as my "darkroom". It had enough room to set up two enlargers, a tray table, and shelves for storage. It wasn't really dark enough to load film, so I did that in my changing bag. Developing and rinsing was done in the bathroom. I did mostly 35mm, and a little bit of 4x5.

Amolitor has very good advice IMO. I have stainless and plastic, but I like the plastic hands down. It's not as "cool" as stainless but for me loading 35 and 120 is a breeze.

Lots of great advice here. As for scanners, just baught an Epson V500. Does a great job and fast too. Sorry but don't know how to do links but Google will take you to a site showing how this one works.

Forgot ! Cost on sale $150. CAD

A darkroom needs to be big enough to hold all of the "Stuff" that you plan to use. More "Stuff" = larger darkroom. Less "Stuff" = smaller darkroom. If you're anything like most of us, and no matter how good your intentions are, the amount of "Stuff" will grow right along with experience.

Start with the minimum and you can work out of a closet. As your experience grows you will eventually need more space (having running water and a sink is great, having room for a dryer or screen is great, etc.) but, kind of like with money, as long as you live within your means you can get by quite well.

Most reactions

Back