Smart TV Acting Dumb

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a 2 years old Vizo 4k smart tv that is acting wierd. Few months back it started turning itself on randomly. Then it started turning itself off randomly. About the time we decided it was time for repair, it quit. Worked fine. Little over a week ago it started again. Then, just as I was ready to take it to be looked at it quit doing it. Anyone hear of this happening or do I need to get someone in to do an exorcism on it?

Who Ya gonna call!!!! GHOSTBUSTERS

On a more serious note, Static Electricity can really make some things go crazy. Years ago when I`d have my stereo on low, I went to make a brew and the volume went sky high making me jump, it turned out it was down to static electricity.

I have a smart TV, as well. It runs on Android/Google. As much as I love the features of it, sometimes it's extremely frustrating. I miss the times where my TV was just a TV--where it displayed what I told it to display by connecting various other technologies. Also, apparently, when I turn it off, it doesn't actually turn off. So, sometimes I'll have to scroll through the menus to "reset" it when it acts up.

I've also had to go to extreme lengths for it to not collect data on what I'm watching, which is really frustrating. Frankly, I don't think anything regarding personal data collection should be opt-out, it should always be set to opt-in. But, that's another story.

All that said, I have no idea how to fix it, sorry. Maybe try to find a way to perform a hard reset? I thought I'd just join in saying that my smart TV isn't all that smart sometimes (sorry, had to..). And, I understand what you're going through. :)

I've also had to go to extreme lengths for it to not collect data on what I'm watching, which is really frustrating. Frankly, I don't think anything regarding personal data collection should be opt-out, it should always be set to opt-in. But, that's another story.

Yeah this is an issue I have concerns about as well. It's nice to be connected to the internet, but at the same, time it's running in the shadows with very little control over what it's actually doing. I do know that it downloads and installs firmware updates on it's own, without input or limitation. The "data" it collects is also a little shadowy on the description. The only alternative there is to disconnect it from the internet and lose all the smart tv features.

Part of the random turning on is caused by other HDMI devices connected. The satellite provider pushes updates through to the box on it's own, and sometimes does a partial wake up to install, which will cause the TV to turn on. You can turn off CEC but then you have to turn on each device separately.

yeah but does your audio sync? I'll never buy vizio again -- I've had two and they the audio always got off sync and the built in correction only took it the wrong way.

yeah but does your audio sync? I'll never buy vizio again -- I've had two and they the audio always got off sync and the built in correction only took it the wrong way.

Have a Yamaha wireless multiroom amp, that works fine. We have 3 vizio's currently two of which have been great, but the jury is still out on this one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back