Smarter than they look!

Michaelaw

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm not saying this is a good pic but the story behind it was neat. I was out with my 150mm practicing a sharp zoom shot and these guys were willing to help out. These were the mobile ones, there were around one hundred more sleeping in the rain on the grass and a few more were swimming with the ducks. I got cold and walked back to my car to warm up. After 5 minutes with the heater on I was warm again. All of a sudden, all the gulls (including the sleeping ones were in the air flying a huge circle and squawking like mad. Next...A huge bald eagle flew over my car really fast, out over the small lake and tried to nab a duck. He missed and landed on the shore of the lake to regain his composure. I am at this point trying desparately to get my camera strap untangled from the gearshift, open the door and find a reasonable place to park my half eaten sandwich so I can get to where this big bird of prey is. I finally get to where it was on the outer limits of being able to make him out with this lense but the crows began to divebomb the eagle and finally drove him off into the forest. If I had only not been such a wuss and stayed out in the cold for a while longer instead of heading to the car to warm up........Oh well!

gulls.jpg

LOL, oh the trials and tribulations of capturing your prey. The shots you really want don't tend to show up until you have officially given up (or gotten stuck in the sand when driving around the inlet for a better angle). Nice photo, and better luck next time :D

Awww. Michael.
That could have been MY story!
Being such a "wuss" is what I feel I am for most of the time I try to capture some good wildlife pics. Also I tend to turn away, giving up, thinking that only with ME all the birds always fly away, and there comes (and goes unphotographed) a wonderful situation. Oh well... :roll: ... sigh.

Most reactions

Back