Smithsonian Open Ceiling

tmurphy0828

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Went to Washington D.C. a few weeks ago and took this while at the Smithsonian. Its the ceiling of this like outside garden room. Let me know what you think!

I like it but I think it would be better if the line did not cut through the image and if the geometry was the same on both sides of the image look at the the the left and right edges the the the geometry does not meet the edge in the same place on both sides.

Looks awesome to me! I might try a BW conversion, since this is more about shapes/lines and less about color. A good BW conversion could emphasize this more.

Freaky...like it!
thanks!

I like it but I think it would be better if the line did not cut through the image and if the geometry was the same on both sides of the image look at the the the left and right edges the the the geometry does not meet the edge in the same place on both sides.
getting the geometry perfect was the hardest part about this. I might try to crop it some more to get it to meet better on both sides

Looks awesome to me! I might try a BW conversion, since this is more about shapes/lines and less about color. A good BW conversion could emphasize this more.
I did try a BW version before I went with this but I wound up talking myself out of it. Maybe ill go back and play with it a bit in BW

The image is already monochromatic, what is converting it to B&W gonna add to it?
I wouldn't be as concerned with the edge symmetry on this one. You'll wrack your brain trying to, and never achieve "perfection".
The arcing line is a nice pattern break. Without it, this is just another pattern piece.
The squares form diagonal lines that lead you out, and that arc catches you, and brings you back.

I do personally like this image much more rotated 90° counter-clockwise. :heart:

The image is already monochromatic, what is converting it to B&W gonna add to it?
I wouldn't be as concerned with the edge symmetry on this one. You'll wrack your brain trying to, and never achieve "perfection".
The arcing line is a nice pattern break. Without it, this is just another pattern piece.
The squares form diagonal lines that lead you out, and that arc catches you, and brings you back.

I do personally like this image much more rotated 90° counter-clockwise. :heart:

I believe that's why I chose not to go B&W in the first place.
You are correct I went back and tried to mess with the edges some more and its just too frustrating.
Yes! that's exactly what I was trying to do with that arc I'm glad it worked. I never even thought about rotating it. I will give that a try

I wouldn't bother with B&W myself. When I first saw this, my first thoughts were - "what a great B&W pattern shot, and tinted just right."

A little tinkering with the edges might be good. I agree it will never be perfect and one shouldn't go crazy pursuing that, but this could be just slightly more symmetric and might be stronger for it. Tilting it CCW just a tiny bit might be enough, preferably on an earlier uncropped version so you don't lose anything from this one.

First off -I like the shot. Now with that out of the way .... ;)

I know this is not a monochrome conversion, but it comes across as a monochrome conversion with (IMO) unpleasant yellow sepia toning.
I prefer to see these types of subjects (when actually monochrome) tinted cooler, or not at all.

My less than 2 cents.

I sort of like the tinting on this one because that was really the color of the whole room where I took the shot. Its a sort of warm sunlight opening thing hence the warmer tint

Most reactions

Back