Smoke Photography. C&C if you'd like. (:

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all! I dont really know if this is 'beyond basics' worthy, but I figured Id post it here and it would be moved if it wasnt.

I decided to try my hand at photographing smoke. The setup:

Kitchen table, cereal boxes and an incense holder to hold the incense up.
Black T-shirt hung about 4' behind stick.
Monolight (continuous) camera left
SB-600 camera right (1/4-1/8 power)
Nikon D90
Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro
Handheld

Like I said, C&C if you do so please. I know its picture heavy, but I just didnt know which I liked better, so I put them all. All the ones that I liked, anyway. There were over 180 shots taken. :mrgreen:

DSC_0997.jpg

DSC_0992.jpg

DSC_0980.jpg

DSC_0971.jpg

DSC_0965.jpg

DSC_0964.jpg

DSC_0962.jpg

DSC_0955-1.jpg

DSC_0960.jpg

DSC_0953.jpg

- There's a rainbow in this one. Thats why I put it in.

DSC_0941.jpg

DSC_0942.jpg

Hope you enjoyed.
Mark

You know, 12-image posts often suck....but not THIS ONE!!!!!!!

Good job Mark. #2 reminds me of a martini glass....Me likes!!!! Out of all the incense smoke pics I have seen, yours are the very FIRST ones that I have seen that include the incense stick in the image!

Nice and sharp, good contrast. I like the negative image ones a lot. I think it makes the detail pop more.

Love the simple/organic shape on the last shot too. Dark works better on this one for sure. :thumbup:

Thanks everyone!
@Derrel: It was going to be a 17-shot post, but I knew that was waay off the table :lol:

@Arkanjel: Thanks alot! The last one is my favorite out of them all. I wil experiment with changing some of them into negatives like the white ones and see which ones work. After I did it to the two pictured, I liked it..but I kind of felt a little wrong for doing it since the rest were black and I didnt want to change them all, ya know? :wink:

Thanks again all of you!
Mark

You know, 12-image posts often suck....but not THIS ONE!!!!!!!
+1

These are great. They conjure images of dancers... I see rib cages, spinal columns, and hinged joints. #2 really drew me in.

Great shots. I now have something more to compare to and see if I can get the same sort of results. My first try was very noisy.

Simply awesome. The negative ones turned spectacular. I think you are going to have alot of trolls shooting smoke. <3 them.

All are awesome (always been a huge fan of smoke photography). I love the blue-hued ones the best and my overall faves are 5, which reminds me of a depressed man or woman and 12, which is simply elegant.

I moved them to the General Gallery, Mark, OK? "Beyond the Basics" is text-only... though these do show that you have taken your photography beyond the basics all right!!!

Most reactions

Back