SMOKED FROG. I'm trying to figure out when the right time is for a dead center shot.

LightSpeed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Anywho, I got to playing around out in the woods today in all the slop, after the heavy rains and came across this guy at the edge of a pond.
I started thinking rule of thirds while I was looking at this thing..........and then I said , nahhh, let me try something else.
So anyway, I got to lookin at this dude and the way the sky was reflecting on the water, I says to myself , hmmmm interesting effect here.
Limme try to get this under " natural light" The light was low so I had to bust him at ISO 2000 to get 1/60.
Pretty much a centered shot.
Still playing with it in post.

6906709711_73c8ccdf3f_b.jpg

I started to flash the old boy, but then I says to myself , if I do that, i'll probably lose the smoked effect.
So when is the right time to flash?

My best guess is , right after you do it the other way.
Anyone?
6906673433_322e37504e_b.jpg

Nice shots, LS! Amazing how green those puppies are, isn't it? Do you have a shot that isn't framed quite as tightly, would like to see more of the sky / cloud reflections.

The time to "FLASH" is when you want to.. or when you need it for what you are trying to do! There is no hard and cold time to flash unless you just don't have enought light to do it any other way.

I started thinking rule of thirds while I was looking at this thing..........and then I said , nahhh, let me try something else.
6906709711_73c8ccdf3f_b.jpg
...and yet you still utilized the RoT's in this shot.

Kinda. I guess.
I've gotten so used to it. Ya know.
But not on all of them ( the frogs I mean). Most are centered.
That had more to do with framing than the rule.

Nice shots, LS! Amazing how green those puppies are, isn't it? Do you have a shot that isn't framed quite as tightly, would like to see more of the sky / cloud reflections.

The time to "FLASH" is when you want to.. or when you need it for what you are trying to do! There is no hard and cold time to flash unless you just don't have enought light to do it any other way.

I'll have to look. I just got these a couple hours ago.
There are several, but man I was wallowing around in the mud and water to get at eye level trying to hand hold, with the camera touching the ground at times.
I botched a few shots.

6906888539_bd99337562_b.jpg

Nice shots...Impressive.

I'd like number 2 better if the eye wasn't reflecting on the right side. Frogs are cool though!

These are great. I love frogs.

yea.. frogs are cool! i only have one decent frog shot.. and LS has that beat with these! :) (of course, I stayed dry taking mine!)

Last edited:
yea.. frogs are cool! i only have one decent frog shot.. and LS has that beat with these! :) (of course, I stayed dry taking mine!)

Thanks Gipson, and everyone else.
What I'd really get a kick out of is if I were to find a cotton mouth Moccasin ...........poisonous snake, for those who don't know what that is.
In some shallows. That may happen for me before the years out.
Once it warms up around here, I'm likely gonna go on a rip with wildlife and macro stuff.

Thanks Gipson, and everyone else.
What I'd really get a kick out of is if I were to find a cotton mouth Moccasin ...........poisonous snake, for those who don't know what that is.
In some shallows. That may happen for me before the years out.
Once it warms up around here, I'm likely gonna go on a rip with wildlife and macro stuff.

Make sure to update your will so that shiny macro setup goes to me! ;)

lol
Well, I hope to live a while longer.
At least long enough to get a couple thousand shots with the new macro rig that I have on order.

Nice shot. Looks like a tree frog. Must be warm there for the 'phibians to be out and about.

lol
Well, I hope to live a while longer.
At least long enough to get a couple thousand shots with the new macro rig that I have on order.

Those Cotton Mouth's might have a different opinion on that ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back