Smokey Mountains National Park

Kent

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I’m heading to Smokey Mountains National Park in couple weeks to take some time off and take some pictures. Been checking the Internet about best places to go to get some good pictures and still not sure about best places. Like to get some good landscape and waterfalls pictures. Anyone been to the area and have any suggestion.

Never been to Smokey mountains particularly, but I've been to Chattahoochee national forest area(just south of smokey) many times. Great forested and mountainous area. Lot's of creeks and waterfalls to check out. I was mountain biking on this trail and almost ran into a bear cub(was watching out for mama bear). The place is really beautiful in the fall. Spring may not be all that colorful though.

There's a famous road nick named "Tail of the dragon". It's about 10 or so miles of twisty mountain road where bikers and car enthusiastic take their rides for a spin. At one end of it there is a tree with bike parts hung from it. Basically when bikers slip and fall, they hang their fallen bike parts on the tree.

For landscapes and wildlife the place to be is Cades Cove. A quick search will tell you everything you need to know. Just get there early because the place get packed during the middle of the day. Its a one way loop so if you run late you could get stuck behind a line of cars. Sorry...cant help on the waterfalls.

Cades Cove and Dark Hollow Falls. But they are crowded. Just google the names of the places and you'll come up with some great ideas!

Cades cove for sure. Get there EARRRRLY especially if you want to see more wildlife. I also love going up to grandfather mountain, but it's all the way up by Boone so that would be a pretty long drive from the park.

Cades cove is very nice, also a lot of the pull offs you will see make for great photos, they will be crowded. Maybe if you're lucky you might see a bear. Last July we saw one from our truck, he was a cub. These were along the pull offs.

vacation2009021.jpg

smokymountains3.jpg

smokeymountains5.jpg

This summer we'll be taking our 3rd trip there. Hoping to get some more photos.

I know the smokies well. Try to stay away from the crowded areas. Cades Cove is very crowded, but usually worth the trip. The problem with the smokies is that there is SOOOO much to see and do. Try and get off the beaten path. Check out elkmont and tremont, there are some good waterfall spots in there and not usually crowded. Mouse Creek falls and Max Patch over on the NC side.

Most reactions

Back