Corry

Flirtacious and Bodacious
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
corryttc.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok...can't remember the exact settings, and I don't know how to check exif data. I did this in my studio...first shoot I've done in my new place, and I'm trying to get lighting right. I did this at night, so no natural lighting...I used the on board flash with tissue covering it to diffuse, and a slave strobe on the side. The cat is Smokey, my boyfriends cat. He absolutely adores this stupid animal, and I wanted to get a good shot that I could print and frame for him as a gift. What I want crit on mostly is the lighting, but feel free to comment on anything else. Oh, and I desaturated mostly, and resaturated the eyes. Let me know if I'm off the mark with the effect.

Smokey.jpg

Well, I can't really really critique photos, but what I can say is: to bring out a black cat's fur so well and still get all the other features, too, and this against a relatively dark background, does require some good and clever lighting, and it seems like your set-up worked perfectly well to this end. Just perfectly!

The other surprising aspect of this photo is the fact that you could make Smokey sit there and pose for you so nicely. How could you do this?

Superglue!

Or staples! :lol:

No, seriously if you're photographing animals don't superglue or staple them down! :confused:

I really like the lighting on the fur and htink you've managed to make it work really well! :thumbup:

Not too sure about the highlights on the stool legs though? Maybe you can tone them down to make them less distracting, drawing your eye to the bottom of the picture?

LaFoto said:
Well, I can't really really critique photos, but what I can say is: to bring out a black cat's fur so well and still get all the other features, too, and this against a relatively dark background, does require some good and clever lighting, and it seems like your set-up worked perfectly well to this end. Just perfectly!

The other surprising aspect of this photo is the fact that you could make Smokey sit there and pose for you so nicely. How could you do this?

Actually, his fur is grey, not black, and desaturating this pic wasn't a huge change to it...quite a subtle change, actually, as everything in the picture is basically black or grey, except his eyes, and the coloring of his skin in his ears is a bit pinkish...you can still kinda see it if you look. Give me some time and later on I'll post the original (I am getting ready for a photo shoot in less than an hour!!!! and I was stupid, and didn't save this pic in large size before I made is smaller saved and all that good stuff...so I have to crop and stuff again.

The lighting is good although perhaps the highlights are a little harsh. However, I'm no expert on lighting so will keep quiet about that :)

My main suggestion would be to think about your background. You have a grey cat on a grey background so she(?) doesn't really stand out. Why not try a white backdrop?

Finally, I'm really impressed at how you got her to pose. I took some cat photos recently for my fiancee. The only time I could get the cat to stay still was when she was asleep! (the cat, not my fiancee)

triggerhappy said:
The lighting is good although perhaps the highlights are a little harsh. However, I'm no expert on lighting so will keep quiet about that :)

My main suggestion would be to think about your background. You have a grey cat on a grey background so she(?) doesn't really stand out. Why not try a white backdrop?

Finally, I'm really impressed at how you got her to pose. I took some cat photos recently for my fiancee. The only time I could get the cat to stay still was when she was asleep! (the cat, not my fiancee)

Good point about the background, but I do almost like it this way. At the moment all I have is my grey backdrop..haven't found the time or money to make myself a new one. :) And how I got HIM to stay that way...had the boyfriend's help! I would sit waiting in my spot, with my finger on the button, and Erik set him on the stool, then got his attention so he would look where we wanted him too.

I'll get the original posted up so ya'll can see it...

Here's the original, without desaturation, without brightening the eyes, without darkening the highlights, and without fixing the tilt. or sharpening...

smallcolor.jpg

Honestly, I prefer the original (aside from the need for straightening, levels etc). I like the hint of yellow in the eyes and the softness of the fur and light.

Corry! Gorgeous. I prefer the desaturated one, it seems more impersonal, which with the all black, works for me. Why is it that I always want to critique things in the General gallery, but the things here I can't ever find something :lmao:
The eyes: the effect you achieved is very subtle, and I really think it could stand out a little bit more. Think the opening of Sin City. :)

Most reactions

Back