Smoky Mountain

drdan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
thegoodsleepstore.com
Really the Rockies but high winds are scouring new snow off the mountain tops above Colorado Springs making them look "smoky".

Often we see intense winds on the mountains blowing snow without it being that windy in town. Yesterday though as I was going to the back of my truck to get my tripod, I was a little off balance going around the corner of my truck and an unexpected gust of wind literally knocked me down. I had to hold the strap of my camera as the high winds were trying to pull the tripod over. It was neat seeing the "Misty Mountains" most of the afternoon as the snow blew around up there.

DSC07463re650.JPG

That's some nice mist coming from the mountains. It kind of looks like a giant person blew out a cloud of smoke on the mountains(from the left).

nice shots again dr dan...

I was just wondering... do you have shots of any of the old mines from where you live? Do you know where Montezuma valley is, just a bit past keystone resort in Summit County? I know there are lot of really cool silver mines in that area, I am hoping one day to get out there and take photos of them!

Nope, no mine shots. I know where Keystone is of course, and I've heard of Montezuma. When you say "past" Keystone do you mean east, west, north or south from Keystone?

All I've seen of mines in the area are the tailings covering some of the slopes. From the road they seem kind of ugly with depressing colors. I'm a color junkie as you've probably noticed from the kind of shots I take so it never occured to me to check the mines. What is it about them they you like? I assume you mean the mine shafts themselves?

Hmmmm, don't know how I missed this before. I think you've captured the essence of "cold" for me, thanks! :)

I think I need to make a road trip. The bumps we call mountains around here are starting to wear thin....

What a beautiful shot!!! I'd like to see some of that sky cropped out. But a perfect shot, really. Nice! :D

mmmm, don't know how I missed this before
it got bumped way back so i bumped it up last night :D

Nope, no mine shots. I know where Keystone is of course, and I've heard of Montezuma. When you say "past" Keystone do you mean east, west, north or south from Keystone?

All I've seen of mines in the area are the tailings covering some of the slopes. From the road they seem kind of ugly with depressing colors. I'm a color junkie as you've probably noticed from the kind of shots I take so it never occured to me to check the mines. What is it about them they you like? I assume you mean the mine shafts themselves?

Montezuma Valley, if i remember correctly (its been 15 years ago) entrance is literaly at keystone, you turn thru the parking lot to get there. I think the mines would be an excellent colour target! For instance, get the red rusty mine equipment pinned up against the blue sky, The rought weathered wood of the mine shacks also have excellent texture. Also a play of contrast, the mines have a 'torn earth feel' you can play around with the columbines in spring against the orangey rock. Montezuma has (or had) alot of of old mine dwellings still standing, they weren't just 'holes' in the ground. Unfortunately I couldn't find any links on the internet to show ya :(

Here's an unrelated picture I thought turned out wll. This is handheld from a running truck with my Sony 717, no filters. It's a suspicious Prairie Dog checking me out from the safety of his hole near Denver, CO.

DSC00506.JPG

Here is one I took the second day I had my camera. It's just after a thundershower in Colorado Springs. The freshly washed air and foliage and cloudy light made for an unusally green and cool looking picture for this dry, semi desert area. The dark green to the left is Ponderosa Pine, the medium green in background is Sugar Maple and the very light green is a healthy Russian Olive. I just love the cool green on green here.

DSC00195re650.jpg

Most reactions

Back