Smooth U Groove wheels for DIY Project

Trojit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys, long time lurking and decided to start a pretty ambitious DIY camera slider project but I am in need of your help.

I am looking for some good quality U or V groove bearing wheels that will be used on top of a 1 inch tube. I have had almost no luck finding anything what I am looking for. Hopefully you guys might have some suggestions for wheels that will give my slider a smooth ride. I have been looking at some urethane wheels to enhance the smoothness.

Thanks guys!

Which do it yourself write-up are you using?

Welcome to the site!

Which do it yourself write-up are you using?

Welcome to the site!

Hey! Thank you!

I am not following a particular write-up, instead I read up on quite a few of them and wanted to start my own little project, freestyle. I do use my camera professionally on occasion and so I want this slider to be pretty top notch quality so I am looking for some decent groove wheels for this project. Hope this clears some things up!

Will those linear ball bearings with pipes also works? I think you can use 2 linear ball bearings sliding on 2 pipes and then screw in the camera mounting hardware on top of the linear ball bearings.

You maybe even able add a addition threaded rod (parallel to the pipes) with some gears and motor to slide the camera automatically.

So the whole thing looks like the sliding inkjet printer head.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Will those linear ball bearings with pipes also works? I think you can use 2 linear ball bearings sliding on 2 pipes and then screw in the camera mounting hardware on top of the linear ball bearings.

You maybe even able add a addition threaded rod (parallel to the pipes) with some gears and motor to slide the camera automatically.

So the whole thing looks like the sliding inkjet printer head.

I've looked them up but the problem is that there is a piece in the middle that won't allow a sleeve bearing to slide past it. I'll need to stick with ball bearing wheels unfortunately, thanks though!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I was thinking something like what TiredIron said, but at 90 degree angles (like a roller coaster wheel set works). The load bearing set vertical and riding on top of the tubes, then outside wheels at 90 degrees riding along the outside, or even the inside (depending on how you make the tube track) edge of the tubes to keep it all on the track. You could even spring load the outside wheels so it doesn't bind on curves.

Most reactions

Back