Smugmug, Zenfolio, or other...???

Which site is best for portfolio building/customizing and selling images?

• Smugmug

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Zenfolio

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Bacon

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

Majeed Badizadegan

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Time to build a website. I'm torn between Smugmug and Zenfolio right now. I'm doing the trials for both.

First impressions:
I really don't like the SmugMug site building interface. Everything seems buried deep in menus, and customization feels difficult and clunky. I think Zenfolio is more workable, and also happens to be a bit cheaper.

I'd like to customize a portfolio, some collections, and allow users to buy directly through the site. I will probably fulfill my own orders, but haven't fully decided on that.

Your input is appreciated.

I use Zenfolio. It's cheap and you can do all the things you've requested.

Im currently using zenfolio and havnt had many issues with it. i like the purchasing setup, its pretty easy to navigate and purchase, the setup was pretty easy to do for a beginner (me for sure) and I liked the layout. I never used smugmug as a site personally. but at times when ive navigated it, I didn't much care for the layout.

Build a real site then plug smugmug or zenfolio into it. Gives you more flexibility.

Build a real site then plug smugmug or zenfolio into it. Gives you more flexibility.

And by plugin I mean the ordering functionality.

I hate the smugmug interface. Zenfolio is easier to set up and manage, IMO.

Squarespace have now integrated e-commerce into their system. I'm just waiting for it to be released in the UK :(

I use Zenfolio. It's cheap and you can do all the things you've requested.

Im currently using zenfolio and havnt had many issues with it. i like the purchasing setup, its pretty easy to navigate and purchase, the setup was pretty easy to do for a beginner (me for sure) and I liked the layout. I never used smugmug as a site personally. but at times when ive navigated it, I didn't much care for the layout.

I hate the smugmug interface. Zenfolio is easier to set up and manage, IMO.

My first impressions mirror these comments.

To everyone else, thanks. Zenfolio seems like the clear choice for customizing and general usability.

@kathy ill look at it but never heard of it before

@runnah not ready to build a site from scratch yet.

@runnah not ready to build a site from scratch yet.

too bad you don't know anyone who could build it for you at very reasonable rates... ;)

too bad you don't know anyone who could build it for you at very reasonable rates... ;)

dr-evil.jpg

There is a method to my madness

I've been with SmugMug for the last 15 months or so....or maybe it's been 27 months....I forget. Regardless, after looking at that ProPhoto thing, I may say goodby to SmugMug.
The one thing I hate about SmugMug is, as has been mentioned here, the interface. It's looks cool. And the people are nice. But it's somewhat difficult to use, especially if you have a lot of images and a lot of folders. That part, trying to organize your stuff, is downright infuriating. At least it is to me and has been since the beginning. And it's not like I'm a noob at computer stuff....not by a long shot. I build my own web sites, do my own graphic design. And I host my own sites. What I wanted was the online ordering part.
And between this thread, after seeing ProPhoto, and just today receiving my first order from the ProDPI lab, I'm not sure I'll order from SmugMug anymore.

As for ZenFolio...I've heard both positive and negative comments about them. The galleries I've seen looked very plain to me though. I'm guessing that they have customization features. I just wasn't impressed.

Most reactions

Back