Snake

wackii

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Getting away from birds a bit. C&C are always welcome!
$Snake resized45.jpg

Last edited:
Really cool snake! Is it a tree viper?
Lighting isn't the greatest though.

Trimeresurus popeorum? Beautiful viper... but the choice of DOF and lack of good lighting don't help the image.

I am assuming you had the camera on a tripod? With a 1 second exposure, I hope so.... stopping down a couple of stops would have really helped, and raising the ISO would have also. I have seen clean images from the D7000 at up to ISO 6400... I am sure the D7100 woul
d do as well if not better.

EXIF Data

[PhotoME]
PhotoME version: 0.79R17 (Build 856)

[Overview]
URL: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...fe/47985d1371544910-snake-snake-resized45.jpg
File type: JPEG
File size: 586.5 KB
Creation date: 6/17/2013 15:19
Last modification: 6/18/2013 06:32
Make: NIKON CORPORATION (Nikon | Home)
Camera: NIKON D7100
Software: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.4 (Windows)
Dimension: 2297 x 1532 px (3.5 MP, 3:2)
Focal length: 290 mm (equiv. 290 mm)
Aperture: F6.3
Exposure time: 1"
ISO speed rating: 200/24°
Program: Manual
Metering Mode: Spot
White Balance: Auto
Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode

Really cool snake! Is it a tree viper?
Lighting isn't the greatest though.

I think you are right about tree viper (not too sure). Unfortunately, light is too good.

Trimeresurus popeorum? Beautiful viper... but the choice of DOF and lack of good lighting don't help the image.

I am assuming you had the camera on a tripod? With a 1 second exposure, I hope so.... stopping down a couple of stops would have really helped, and raising the ISO would have also. I have seen clean images from the D7000 at up to ISO 6400... I am sure the D7100 woul

EXIF Data

[PhotoME]

[Overview]
URL: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...fe/47985d1371544910-snake-snake-resized45.jpg

Thanks for the advice/tip. I wasn't thinking at the moment. And yes, I was using a tripod. I'm extremely picky when it comes to noise... therefore I'm using ISO200... I'll definitely stopping down a few stops if there's a chance next time... Many times when I got home and uploaded the pictures to comp then realized that I should have done this and that... I guess this comes naturally with experience... And I have none...

Thanks.

Al,

EXIF Data

[PhotoME]

[Overview]

Thanks for the advice/tip. I wasn't thinking at the moment. And yes, I was using a tripod. I'm extremely picky when it comes to noise... therefore I'm using ISO200... I'll definitely stopping down a few stops if there's a chance next time... Many times when I got home and uploaded the pictures to comp then realized that I should have done this and that... I guess this comes naturally with experience... And I have none...

Thanks.

Al,

Hey Al,

With that camera, you should be able to easily shoot ISO 800 / ISO 1600 with no noise (as long as you get a solid exposure) and get good images all the way up to ISO 6400. That would give you a little bit more latitude on the shutter / aperture... and allow better shots. Sometimes a little noise is better than a lack of DOF, or movement blur due to camera or subject movement.

Green snake like Nagini which Lord Voldemort had in the Harry Potter series ! Looks deadly venomous ...

Many times when I got home and uploaded the pictures to comp then realized that I should have done this and that... I guess this comes naturally with experience... And I have none...

Thanks.

Al,

Oh man, You're not alone.

Anyhow, cool Viper pose.

The snake is a male Bothriechis rowleyi. I used to have one myself. They are constantly posing like this so it will be easy for you to redo this shot with better lighting and composition. I would recomend using a flash positioned bottom right of the image and pointing at the snake. I would also use a tighter crop and like others have said a greater DoF.

Here is a shot of a similar snake in a similar pose that I made- not the best image but maybe it will give you an idea of what you can do.
538503_3299988224779_1640907689_n.jpg

EXIF Data

[PhotoME]

[Overview]

Thanks.

Al,

Hey Al,

With that camera, you should be able to easily shoot ISO 800 / ISO 1600 with no noise (as long as you get a solid exposure) and get good images all the way up to ISO 6400. That would give you a little bit more latitude on the shutter / aperture... and allow better shots. Sometimes a little noise is better than a lack of DOF, or movement blur due to camera or subject movement.

Charlie,

Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't shot anything over ISO800 yet. The noise is pretty minimal at ISO800 but it's there. I'm just picky... Maybe I should buy FF camera... I will definitely play around with different ISO. I remembered I didn't like how it turned out at ISO640... There's some noise when I zoom in 100%. I have to reduce the noise at Post Processing... I see your point though. Thanks.

Al,

The snake is a male Bothriechis rowleyi. I used to have one myself. They are constantly posing like this so it will be easy for you to redo this shot with better lighting and composition. I would recomend using a flash positioned bottom right of the image and pointing at the snake. I would also use a tighter crop and like others have said a greater DoF.

Here is a shot of a similar snake in a similar pose that I made- not the best image but maybe it will give you an idea of what you can do.
538503_3299988224779_1640907689_n.jpg

Thanks. If there's another chance I will step down a couple stops to get better DOF.

Case in point: ISO 4000 on a D7000.

$8998683746_91acffd961_c.jpg

Most reactions

Back