Snapshots?

alexecho

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not sure if I'm in the right place to post this?

My question is if you take a photograph on fully automatic settings can it be considered 'art', or is it only a 'snapshot'.

My personal opinion is if you take a shot that is well composed, correctly focussed and generally visually satisfying it doesn't matter if it was fully manual, fully automatic, or somewhere in-between, so long as the image was planned and came out how you wanted it.

Of course, generally you need to adjust some settings if you are looking for something specific, but not always...

alexecho said:
My personal opinion is if you take a shot that is well composed, correctly focussed and generally visually satisfying it doesn't matter if it was fully manual, fully automatic, or somewhere in-between, so long as the image was planned and came out how you wanted it.
You are correct...
It doesn't matter what you take the photo with.
The Snapshots section is for photos that you didn't care/don't want people to care how they look... it's purly what's inside the photo that counts here. ie. a funny dog, an old relative... maybe your fish you caught yesterday...
anything that has really no artistic value.

So, it doesn't matter if you took the "Snapshot" with a fully manual camera.
Or the "Artistic" photo with a camera phone...

This should be under "Photographic Discussion" but it's alright. :)

A good picture is a good picture no matter what settings where used. My advice is to shoot manual most of the time. Or live with under or overexposed photo's in many of your pictures and trust me that will happen when you least want it too.

To me, a "snapshot" is a photo that just happens! you point the camera and take a shot, good or bad, you get the shot. Could be anything. Settings don't matter.

To me, an "artistic" photo is one that's thought about. Posing a subject or waiting for that split second to get the perfect angle. Moving 10 feet to the left to get a reflection or get rid of a shadow.

Doesn't mean a spur of the moment shot can't be art or even one that was carefully planned isn't just a snapshot.

An example of this is a photo a friend has in their house. Sitting in their boat, they were pulling away from a lighthouse and she reached into her bag, pulled out a disposable camera and took a "snapshot" of the lighthouse. Months later when the film was developed she found out she got the lighthouse, centered in the boats wake with the American flag flying at the stern of the boat ... it's a GREAT photo and I wouldn't call it a snapshot.

Johneo said:
To me, a "snapshot" is a photo that just happens! you point the camera and take a shot, good or bad, you get the shot. Could be anything. Settings don't matter.

To me, an "artistic" photo is one that's thought about.

This is what I think too. A snapshot is a photo taken without much thought.

Art is about perception not technique.

It doesn't have to be 'good'.
It doesn't have to fall into a criteria.
It doesn't have to be technically correct.
It doesn't have to be planned.
It doesn't have to come out as planned.
It doesn't have to be B&W. ;)

Monkeys can do it!!!

Snapshots are about intent not results. A snapshot can have as much or more artistic merit as a carefully planned & executed 'artistic' shot.

Marctwo said:
Art is about perception not technique.

It doesn't have to be 'good'.
It doesn't have to fall into a criteria.
It doesn't have to be technically correct.
It doesn't have to be planned.
It doesn't have to come out as planned.
It doesn't have to be B&W. ;)

Monkeys can do it!!!

Snapshots are about intent not results. A snapshot can have as much or more artistic merit as a carefully planned & executed 'artistic' shot.

agreed

Most reactions

Back