Snoot?

Nwcid

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jbnokesphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Last weekend we did some adventuring and found several old buildings and a mine shaft.

I ran into a new challenge. I wanted to be able to light as far back in the shafts or buildings as I could but then my foreground would over expose. Obviously these structures are not safe to enter so setting up light inside is not an option.

Would this be a situation where a snoot would light the back without over exposing the foreground? Is there another lighting technique?

DSC_2197.jpg
DSC_2140.jpg

Sort of an open ended question, because even with a gridded snoot, the light will spread the further the distance. What you actually need is a way to focus the light. The focus ability of the snoot can be improved some by attaching a longer tube. Or, you might be able to get enough light out of one of the large LED flashlights that focus the beam.

There is something like a "flash extender" that you put on the flash and it is said to focus the light as more of a narrow beam to extend the reach of the light. I have not tried one. They are not expensive. You can buy one or make one yourself.

Maybe try light painting with open shutter, though it would mean a tripod an some trial and error.

I like the light-painting idea.

Thank you for the ideas. It looks like I can pick up a snoot for a speed light for $20, so I might try that.

I have not tried light painting yet, but it is something that interests me. I do have good high power narrow beam flashlights so that might work well.

It looks like I can pick up a snoot for a speed light for $20, so I might try that.

I found by accident that a Pringles chip cans fit perfect over my snoot. You can tape them together to get extremely focused light, the insides are already silver, and you get the added benefit of snacking!

It looks like I can pick up a snoot for a speed light for $20, so I might try that.

I found by accident that a Pringles chip cans fit perfect over my snoot. You can tape them together to get extremely focused light, the insides are already silver, and you get the added benefit of snacking!

I might just try that then, I might have some of those laying around.

Or simply lock the camera down, take multiple shots of properly exposed areas of the cave at different flash power settings and blend them via layers in PS. Easy peasy flashy squeezy.

Most reactions

Back