Nikon D300s | Sigma 18-50 f/2.8

Settings:
Manual
Shutter: 1/500
ISO: 200
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 35mm

Post Processing:
Adjusted white balance to my liking, slight crop and rotate, black levels and contrast boost, saturation and vibrance adjustment.

My personal critique:
It may appear a tad underexposed, but with the snow it was hard not to blow out the whites. Would possibly make a good candidate for HDR for this reason. I like the lone pole angled toward the fence, but wish the plowed snow pile wasn't there - although it does add 'texture' to that side of the photo eliminating dead space. Over all I feel this is one of my better attempts at composition, which is what I'm currently trying to concentrate on.

(Disregard this image - New Edit 2 Posts Down)
743998753_JeCNU-S.jpg

Last edited:
It's difficult to comment on this considering that you already said you adjusted the white balance to your liking.

but, the white balance is way off, the image looks very cold. I understand that you are the "artist" in this situation and so if that's the way you like it then, good for you. But, I would personally warm it up. I might also consider tone mapping it a bit such that the sky stays that blue, and the snow turns white.

My personal hunch is that the reason you made the whole thing blue is that you liked having a bluer sky, rather than the white one that you originally had. In any event, that's my 2 cents.

YMMV

Thanks Nate, I agree and after going through them again I made another edit which kind of reflects what you said. I also didn't realize until now how much detail was lost in the post.

744013047_KGxXE-L.jpg

yeah, the second one is way better

Most reactions

New Topics

Back