Snow II: The Day After

Scott WRG Editor

King of Smoothness
Reaction score
Website
www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org
snow-fence-122704-1.jpg

Thought the shadows were interesting. Thoughts?

More Here

I like the other shots with the motorcycle. I am big fan of pictures with character, subject, or some kind of uniquness. For me, this picture doesn't speak to me.

the shadows are interesting, but because the ground is covered in snow, and the ground and shadows are the main focus of the picture, i feel the picture is just kind of washed out. Maybe if you had more trees, less ground and some sort of subject in the picture the shot would come alive a little more.

Try cropping off the bottom so that the coner post of the fence would be located at the right-lower sweet spot (right lower 1/3 quadrant); and the fence on the right side would eminate from the lower right corner and point toward the biggest tree.

the cropped version and horizontal is wonderful!!!

Scott WRG Editor said:
canonrebel said:
Try cropping off the bottom so that the coner post of the fence would be located at the right-lower sweet spot (right lower 1/3 quadrant); and the fence on the right side would eminate from the lower right corner and point toward the biggest tree.

Like this?

snow-fence-122704-1b.jpg

Good god, no. I disagree - there's nothing going on here.

Stick to your instincts on that first image, Scott - having that foreground full of the beautiful shadow play was right on the money. The only problem with the original is that it leads the eye (which I am guessing was your original intention) right up to the center of the image, and all that's there is the wire fence. So, there's a bit of letdown in the punchline, if you will. If there was another object there for visual interest, the original composition would be a winner.

It's STILL not a bad image, though - I'd love to have seen the top one as a contrasty B&W, toned blue. Sometimes the original image is just the starting point, you know? :wink: (If that makes sense!) :crazy:

I like cropped version more, and nice photo in the first place. I also like the snow-covered fence. Looks great!

I love winter shots...we don't have snow where we live in Arizona.
I might go to take some shots in the mountains next week, though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back