Snow photography

nima

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I live in IN and it just snowed a whole bunch here...

I want to use this and take some snow pictures...

Any tips are appreciated. (Should I leave the camera on Automatic, or set the settings myself?) I have a tripod too if you think that might be necessary..

Thanks

If there is a lot of snow in the scene...Your camera's light meter will tell it to use setting that will turn white snow to a grey tone. So the image will be underexposed.

To get around this, you should add exposure (positive exposure compensation). Exactly how much to add...is up to you. Try one to two stops.

Take a test photo. Most likely it will be too dark, so try again by overexposing and as you go try and get a feel of how much snow to otherthings you need in a picture before you need to overexpose.

Well I never use a light meter in decades, when outside.

I live in the arctic and I take images all the time in snow / ice

here is what I do.. for year after year after year

I use EV values. like the setitngs that are inside the box of film!

ev.jpg

This is what happens when you use these settings..

eatsnow.jpg

Tip: if you want to really take gorgeous photographs.. PICK ONE FILM... and stick with it! and learn how to use it

My advice: VERICLOR! "THE BEST film kodak ever made.. "for negatives"! it has a very wide lattitude and exceptional results. it is 30 below here!

Well I never use a light meter in decades, when outside.

I live in the arctic and I take images all the time in snow / ice

here is what I do.. for year after year after year

I use EV values. like the setitngs that are inside the box of film!

ev.jpg

This is what happens when you use these settings..

eatsnow3.jpg

Tip: if you want to really take gorgeous photographs.. PICK ONE FILM... and stick with it! and learn how to use it

My advice: VERICLOR! "THE BEST film kodak ever made.. "for negatives"! it has a very wide lattitude and exceptional results. it is 30 below here!

The only issue I see here is there is no detail in the foreground which is totally burnt out. In my mind there no easy chart to decide shutter speed/aperture for a shot.

Yes I see the difference. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back