Snow Season critique

alik

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I have had my (first) digital camera since this summer so I am really learning.

I've done this picture in the Alpy mountain this week. This image is cropped a little bit, the chimnay is made vertical, one small white place in the snow is fixed and the two things in the front are edited (more contrast, better colors and sharpened).

What do you think about the image? How would I have made it better?

If you are interested in, I can post here also the original image to compare. :)

P1020972d.jpg

Hiya AliK, welcome to ThePhotoForum.

From what I see, exposure on the snow looks all right, not a blown-out bit to be seen in the near nor far, congrats to that alone, for it is not easy to expose right on snow.
The photo has a wonderful blue sky as background with contrasts nicely with the white of the now and is complementary to the orange of that ... erm :scratch: ... wrapped in ... erm ... yeah. Well. Whatever that is.

Interstingly curved lines of the mountains in the background and of the wall that protects that door to ... erm :scratch: ... well ... that door to ... hmph ... whatever it is. A weather observatory, maybe?

I feel you composed things nicely and with though but ... for some odd reason the photo does not speak to me at all. Maybe this is so because I so utterly fail to understand what on earth I am looking at??? Why there is that concrete wall with metal door and black chimney in the mountains?

Hi LaFoto,

thank you for your reply. Yes, in my previous image there was a white space; for some reasons not known to me, I skipped white checking of that picture...

You can call the orange thing as a spy/agent. It looks like that at least for me. The orange thing is the same thing that protect skiers to be totally broken when they crash into a cableway stanchion or a really bad positioned tree on the ski run.

What exactly is the concrete thing for is hidden also for me - there is no sign at all. I will try to don't forget to ask someone during my next "ski day".

Thank you again and have a fun.

Interstingly curved lines of the mountains in the background and of the wall that protects that door to ... erm :scratch: ... well ... that door to ... hmph ... whatever it is. A weather observatory, maybe?

Hi LaFoto,

I finally know what it is - the waterworks for drinkable water. Moreover, there is a small pond near few meters up (not on the picture)...

Martin

Oh, thanks for investigating further, Martin. Much appreciated.
And where are these mountains where there is so much snow that you can still go skiing these days?

And where are these mountains where there is so much snow that you can still go skiing these days?

Dolomity (Alpy mountains), Italy near Bressanone/Brixen
This winter is quite strange. Basically, there is artificial snow only, because there is between five and 10 degrees Celsium all the winter long and mostly sunny. The winter just started last week (snowing, around zero). Unfortunately, the season ends in one week... :grumpy:

Most reactions

Back