Snowfall Tips

Nikon Nick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.nicholasforret.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, so I know only some basic tips for taking pictures of snowfall, like underexposing so as not to blow out the snowflakes. I've never really cared for capturing them while taking outside winter portraits (it never snowed when I wanted it too, always snowed when I was shooting something inside), but this year, it's been snowing A LOT, and I'd like to add something extra.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips for taking pictures of snowfall. Whether is be for landscapes or portraits.

An example of what I'm trying to do:
Picture of snow falling and a lonely tree in Northern Norway

I use a flash to freeze snow, not sure if it's a standard technique but works for me ( at night ).

Most snow shots require a boost in exposure control as the camera tries to make the white a neutral gray. Depending on conditions I usually get decent results with +0.3 or +0.7. For the flakes, it's like action shooting: if you want them frozen, then shoot fast, like maybe 1/320 or so. If you'd like a little blur, then start at around 1/30 and work down from there to get the effects you want.

Wouldn't the flash only light the snowflakes in the foreground?
I don't see anything non-standard about that shot. Just bear in mind the perspective distortion of lenses. Don't shoot with a wide angle or you won't see the flakes.

Wouldn't the flash only light the snowflakes in the foreground?
I don't see anything non-standard about that shot. Just bear in mind the perspective distortion of lenses. Don't shoot with a wide angle or you won't see the flakes.

Depends on the range of the flash, plus of course nothing to stop you using multiple flashes too.

Usually I just use the pop up flash though and seems to work ok for the effect I wanted.

for example.

I'll some of these ideas and post the result on the next snow day. :mrgreen:

As for the flash at night, it's not really the type of snowfall shots I'm trying to take.

Most reactions

Back