Snowy Owl, and more!

Raymond J Barlow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.raymondbarlow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Airic and I, along with our families burned some Canadian Gasoline, and zoomed up to Amherst Island again, for our much anticipated winter shoot.. We had heard good things about this place, since on the Island there is a privately owned property called Owl Forest, where we know there has been many Owl sightings. here we go...

1 Airic stops for some farmyard shots..
DSC_31410242jpg0257websize.jpg

2 The Island has roads that at so close to the lake, you need to drive very carefully!
DSC_31510245jpg0259websize.jpg

3 A farm scene I liked.. the Island is famous for its high quality sheep and lamb farms.
DSC_31450243jpg0258websize.jpg

4 And now, our hike into Owl forest.. a Nuthatch
DSC_31850247jpg0261websize.jpg

5 Daisy said not to go with this one.. too blurry, I don't listen well!
DSC_31700246jpg0260websize.jpg

6 Maybe someone can help me ID this one??
DSC_32070249jpg0263websize.jpg

7 And this one? I love shooting birds, but I am very uneducated.
DSC_32020248jpg0262websize.jpg

8 Airic great eye spotted a Snowy Owl, and along the hike to capture it I saw my favourite weed!
DSC_32590255jpg0268websize.jpg

9 the first Snowy, was up high in a tall tree, a long way off the road, and getting there would have involve a climb over a barbed wire fence.. not gonna happen!
DSC_32210250jpg0264websize.jpg

10 We very carfully hiked along a drainage ditch, bettween to farm fields.. the snow has blown into the ditch., we had a long warm spell, then it became very cold.. so the snow.. 3-5 ft thick was frozen solid, so we could walk on top of it easily... taking pics every 20 yards..
DSC_32410251jpg0265websize.jpg

DSC_32420252jpg0266websize.jpg

DSC_3248edit0256websize.jpg

DSC_32530254jpg0267websize.jpg

Thanks for a great time Airic, lets go back there soon, and spend more time looking in the forest.

Thanks for looking!

Whoah. Amazing Snowy Owl pictures! I am not certain if it is 'common' to see them in your area or not but, stunning captures, especially with her in flight.

6. Is a male Common Redpoll I believe
7. Pine Siskin? maybe

great shots raymond, looks like fun except for all the snow! ;) i love #10 and #6!

nice set here! my favs would be number 2 and number 10, great job!!!

Great set Raymond. I still want to go back very soon. Maybe Peter and Chiller can join in. No girls, we can starve by ourselves next time without having to starve them as well :)

Eric

thanks everyone.. I was disapointed with a lot of my shots from this day, mainly becuase of some foolish camera settings.. but some are ok. #12 almost didn't make the tpf cut., that owl was just too far away. #9 is a huge crop, and definate junk, but I posted it coz Airic posted his! lol!

10 is amazing. That background color, with the snow falling, and the crisp sharp focus on the owl make it a stunning capture.

Thanks Matt, woodsac, and David.. I honestly thought these owl shots were junk while driving home, The ISO was at 200, and the exposure was 1/1000 @ F5.6.. @ 400mm I was hoping to keep the noise to a minimum, as I thought there would be heavy cropping., but in using so much bg in the shot, cropping was minimized.

how lucky you are to have snowy owls...that has to be one of the coolest looking birds...and you did a wonderful job! they are all great, raymond..

oh, and the second bird you asked about, i think might be a pine siskin, but i dont know if ya'll have them or not...the first unknown bird is really intriguing..and stumps me... but i will see if i can find out...

great series! ( oh, tell marie hi for us...!!)

Great series as always Raymond. Something about that last shot that I really like. Very nice man.

Most reactions

Back