Snowy water effect...

D2Image

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have been trying my hardest to get the snowy water effect! I will show you the beginning clear shot...then the final shot that is more toward what I want!

$water (6 of 1).jpg Exposure: 1/1250 sec at f/7.1, ISO 4000

$water (5 of 1).jpg Exposure: 1/10 sec f/22 ISO 100

$water (1 of 1).jpg My favorite one Exposure: 1/6 sec at f/22 ISO 110

Now since I'm an amateur and usually shoot Boudoir photos, I only have a 50mm! Planning on getting more this yr!

I would like to know how to get an even more snowy look to my water! I want to put a female in the water so I am practicing with just the water now! I want the female to be clear as day toooo.

Thank you for any help! If you need any more info then please ask...I only played with the Saturation, vibrancy, and I brushed the sharpness on the rocks because I cant get them to be perfectly clear...this done in lightroom!

If, by 'snowy', you mean using long exposures to create a silky effect, you'll need some Neutral Density filters to get slower shutter speeds.

I hope the water is warm when you toss in a scantily-clad female, cause if it's cold, she's gonna shiver and end up blurry as well.

1/30 sec:

f22130.jpg~original

10 seconds:

f1110sec.jpg~original

Yes that is exactly what I'm talking about...Thank you so much! I will get on ebay right now to look that filter up! I didn't know I had to have a filter!

Your photo is beautiful...

I do notice that your trees in the second picture are just a little blurry...will that filter make my model a little blurry even if the water is warm? My photos were taken just this past weekend so yea the water was freezing...just practicing before summer comes!

Also what type of lens would you recommend for the kind of photo I'm looking to take with that filter! I know a 50mm is not going to cut it or is it?

Yes that is exactly what I'm talking about...Thank you so much! I will get on ebay right now to look that filter up! I didn't know I had to have a filter!

Your photo is beautiful...

I do notice that your trees in the second picture are just a little blurry...will that filter make my model a little blurry even if the water is warm? My photos were taken just this past weekend so yea the water was freezing...just practicing before summer comes!

Also what type of lens would you recommend for the kind of photo I'm looking to take with that filter! I know a 50mm is not going to cut it or is it?

The second images was taken using a B+W 10-stop ND. The reason the trees are blurry is it's a 10-second shot... the wind was blowing the branches around.

If you want to toss a lady into the water, she need to stay perfectly still for 10 seconds..........

ND filters can be put on most any lens, save for certain extremely wide-angle lenses. Then they either do not accept filters, or will vignette in the corners.

Makes since...

Thank you this helped me out sooo much!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back