So... At my first wedding

Dinardy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Today, I shot at a friends wedding to supplement their album and to capture the few memories the hired might not. (setup etc.)
Also to capture my own family.
I made a point to stay clear of bombing the REAL pros shots, and think I did a good job at it (diving out of the way at the mere sight of glass) although my angles composition suffered greatly!

I have 1,300 pictures to go through. I did however skim quickly through the first couple hundred and found a few I liked, I did B&W conversions on some... I would love to know if they work.

I brought along only Two primes, a 50mm 1.4 and a 85mm 1.8, I was wishing I had something like a 70-200mm and something a bit wider, like a 24mm

C&C welcome as always. I'm not by any means a pro, as my pictures represent.

Edit004-2362 by A A Jones, on Flickr

FlowergirlBW1 by A A Jones, on Flickr

Edit004-2364 by A A Jones, on Flickr

M&MBW2 by A A Jones, on Flickr

NeedaFF by A A Jones, on Flickr

...Bracing for impact, for you wolves out there. This was my FIRST wedding lol.

Last edited:
1 and 5 pop out to me.

I really like number 1. I take it that the hired photogs were doing 'first look' photos and I think you took advantage of a different angle but the dress and shirt aren't white and the background is a bit bright. I really love the angle though.
Number 5 is simple but I like it....maybe because I am a simpleton. Wish those jokers up in the front weren't using their iphone and camera respectively.

1 and 5 pop out to me.

I really like number 1. I take it that the hired photogs were doing 'first look' photos and I think you took advantage of a different angle but the dress and shirt aren't white and the background is a bit bright. I really love the angle though.
Number 5 is simple but I like it....maybe because I am a simpleton. Wish those jokers up in the front weren't using their iphone and camera respectively.

That is exactly what they were doing, I was posted behind a tree to the subject right. I tried to retain detail in the dress, I'm going to work on bringing up the whites in 1.
5 was a last second run through the barn doors and press the shutter button shot, it is one of my favorites too, aside from the noise.

Hey, for a "guest shooter" (in effect), these are great. You did one of the very key things which is not to have your shots look like you were just shooting when the couple was looking at the other photographer.

I loved #4. LOVED it. 5 was neat too but the crop is bothering me a little. Also them not being TOTALLY centered on the chandelier got my attention. But it's still nice and a nice idea.

2 made me chuckle and then go "awww"...

Really. Nice job. Honestly I've shot maybe 12 weddings or so, and I don't really think most of my pictures are anywhere near this nice.

Nice job. I think these are good. I like #1 the best followed by #4. From this small sample, I think your friends are going to be really happy with what they get from you.

Alright man, please don't take this the wrong way. I simply want you to start on the right foot especially if you want to do wedding photography. The most important thing to be successful in wedding photography is how you present yourself among other photographers in your area.

1. I am not sure how involved you were at the wedding, but judging from the # of shots you took.. you were pretty involved. Sometimes as a main photographer, I don't even take that many shots. No matter how you put it, more than likely the main shooter was annoyed.
2. If you plan to share this on FB to your friends, take off the signature. There is nothing more annoying than shooting a wedding and you find out someone already posting the photos from the wedding with "professional" signature on it before you do. Facebook is usually the #1 source for wedding photographers to get new clients. If you did that, you kinda stole their glory. Most people just assume the shots you posted are from the official wedding photographer.
3. If it were me, I would not use this wedding on my portfolio. You were just a guest. I may use it to land my first wedding (as main or 2nd) and say.. hey.. I have not shot a wedding before but here are photos I took as a guest so you can see what I can do. Showing wedding photos you took as a guest on your portfolio to promote your self is bad etiquette IMO (I assure you a lot of wedding photographers agree with me).

Other than that.. I think you did well. I am still confused why on earth people would wear baseball caps to attend wedding.

You did a good job. You've got color casts on the dress in #1 and #3. Also, I see some chromatic aberration that can usually be easily fixed in LR. Robin has some good points. I am going to California for a wedding in three weeks, but I wouldn't bring my pro gear to the wedding. I am sure I would get some dirty looks from the photographers, and I just don't want to be expected to shoot. It is something I just don't do.

Alright man, please don't take this the wrong way. I simply want you to start on the right foot especially if you want to do wedding photography. The most important thing to be successful in wedding photography is how you present yourself among other photographers in your area.
Huh? I always thought the most important thing was to learn the craft and build up your skills leading to a solid portfolio that clients will book on. I don't really care who else in the trade I impress or don't impress.

1. I am not sure how involved you were at the wedding, but judging from the # of shots you took.. you were pretty involved. Sometimes as a main photographer, I don't even take that many shots. No matter how you put it, more than likely the main shooter was annoyed.
You were annoyed. Okay... that's part of what you paid for.

2. If you plan to share this on FB to your friends, take off the signature. There is nothing more annoying than shooting a wedding and you find out someone already posting the photos from the wedding with "professional" signature on it before you do. Facebook is usually the #1 source for wedding photographers to get new clients. If you did that, you kinda stole their glory. Most people just assume the shots you posted are from the official wedding photographer.
If the hired profesional's work is of such a calibre that it's going to be upstaged by the OPs work, the hired gun should probably find a new job!

3. If it were me, I would not use this wedding on my portfolio. You were just a guest. I may use it to land my first wedding (as main or 2nd) and say.. hey.. I have not shot a wedding before but here are photos I took as a guest so you can see what I can do. Showing wedding photos you took as a guest on your portfolio to promote your self is bad etiquette IMO (I assure you a lot of wedding photographers agree with me).
What???? That makes NO sense! While they may not be the best images in the world, for a guest-shooter, they're pretty darn decent, and why wouldn't he use them? In fact, I would venture to say that if you can get a portfolio-worthy image while there as a guest,and not having the luxury of being able to direct the action, that actually shows a superior degree of creativity!

Whatever John. I gave him my advice being in the industry for 2.5 years. Even when I second shoot, i dont post anything on FB until the main shooter is done. If you cant grasp the idea how this will annoy a wedding photographer, I dont know what to say.

Where abouts was the wedding? I also have to respect Robin's points here. It does make a lot of sense to me, and etiquette doesn't always make sense, yet is still observed.

For me, #2 is the standout shot. No, it's not the B&G or even part of the main event, but you DID find one of those little "photojournalistic" moments that add to the flavor of the day. The unhappy little flower girl/ring bearer are always excellent fillers in the wedding album, and you nailed this one. Even if that's all you handed over, don't diminish the capture! Feel proud of that one.

And this:
You did one of the very key things which is not to have your shots look like you were just shooting when the couple was looking at the other photographer.
+1, this shows you were aware and thinking.

#s 4 and 5 are also nice moments, and I like the B&W. I agree with Kathy that you have some color issues, but as we all know you've barely worked these, so we can assume you'll improve on that aspect.

Take Robin's points to heart. ;) I don't read them as anything but sound advice. If you want the chance to do this several more times, which is an excellent way to learn, you want to be gracious and hold back on posting your own shots until the paid guys get their moment in the sun. If you continue to do this and you are ultimately the top photo-dawg, you will appreciate the same courtesy from the sideline newbie. :) I can't think of a better way to ACT like a pro than demonstrate you understand your current position as the sideline newbie, if that makes sense.

Photos 2,4,and 5 capture very special moments. yeah, I see the blown highlights on the dress in #4, but it's a lovely slice of time, and the movement is lovely, and the light against dark contrasts work very well. The little girl is crying, and so cute. The couple kissing is a good moment.

I think #5, the bride and groom kissing, as men in baseball caps and people holding up cellphone cameras to capture the moment, is just a splendid candid wedding shot. You have the fancy chandelier (sp?) above them, them kissing, and then all the guests down below. A very 2013 wedding!!! It's just so,so "of this decade".

Most reactions

Back