So band photography.

cigrainger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm thinking I want to do a bit of band photography for some local bands here in Edinburgh. I wouldn't charge much, just enough for a bit of a profit to cover my film in between gigs and to make it worth my while to spend the time.

I know you guys probably won't think its okay, but I WILL be working with film, it's what I prefer. I'm thinking about offering three tiers -- £30 for b/w, £40 for mixed, and £50 for color. This would be because I develop my own b/w so it's much cheaper for me. I'd offer a CD with hi-res scans of about 40-50 pictures, unedited. I'd charge £1 per edited photo thereafter, and just the actual cost of prints if they want them.

For right now I'd be using my Pentax ME-F with 50mm f/1.7, 135 f/3.5, and 40 f/2.8. I'm not a big fan of the "pancake" 40mm lens, and it fetches a bit of cash, so I'm thinking about selling it an the 135 for a faster portrait length. I may also invest in a body with spot metering and a good wide angle.

I'll be shooting small venues, not big ones. I'd be shooting mostly local bands, probably just other university students like myself.

What I'm thinking about doing to gain confidence in the situations needed and to build a portfolio is put up a poster in our student center offering my services free to the first 3 bands that contact me, explaining to them that I'm just starting out and that I'd give them whatever shots come out, and that I'd want to use the pictures of them for promotional purposes.

So do you guys have any tips? Does this all seem reasonable? Do you have any business advice? Please don't tell me "use digital". I'm not doing wedding photography, I'm not going to ruin people's most important day. I prefer film, I will use film, I produce better results with film, don't bother.

I'm really just wondering more about my estimated pricing, the lenses I'll be using, if you have any tips about building a portfolio or marketing to local bands. I'm not looking to become a published band photographer, or take pictures of gigs of big bands, just to have some fun and maybe make some money on the side.

I was just thinking about this tonite at a Camper Van Beethoven show where I was firing shot after shot. What a good hobby and way to maybe earn some extra cash. I think your plan sounds good, but you might want to offer it free for a dozen shows or so; that way you'll have more material for your portfolio.

Go with the fastest lens you can. I shoot my bands with a 50mm f/1.8. That gets to be a little long sometimes tho but on a film body it's a little longer so that should be fine for now. you might eventually want to get something wider. You want to avoid using a flash. That just washes out all the color from the stage lights. As far as prices I charge $60 and I mail the band a dvd with about 200 images. I think those prices look fine tho. If you are easily getting people to book, ask for a little more.

Most reactions

Back