So confused!

justyyna

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi guys, hope you will be able to help me. The more I read the more confused I get so I really need an advice. (I am completely new)

I just got nikon d3100 (body only) and I am looking for a lens. I have done some research and I am think about

[FONT=&amp]Nikkor [/FONT][FONT=&amp]AF-S DX 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR[/FONT] (new, which is a kit)
or
Nikkor AF-S 18-70mm F/3.5-4.5 G (used)

Need something that will be good for generall photography. I am more keen to buy 18-70mm but there is no VR. what do you think? Any other suggestions? Just need reassuring that I am going into a right direction..

Thanks!

Justyna

What do you plan to shoot?

If you want to experiment with a variety of things, and this is going to be your only lens for a while, I would suggest getting the 18-70 as it will stretch the focal length range that you can play / experiment with.

There is also the 18-105 VR or the 18-135 (non-VR) that is out there as well.

VR is nice to have, but if the price is right for a lens, I'll go without. For example, I got the 18-135 (non-VR) for $200 CDN used from one of our local camera shops. Then I just force myself to practice better camera holding techniques . . .

I would suggest get the 18-105 VR ... covers a good range, and has VR ... and once you start 'liking' certain focal lengths, then add to the kit ...

Else, I would swap the body-only for a D3100+18-55, and later add to the kit as you feel fit (eg. 55-300 or a macro or a 35/1.8 etc) ... cheapest way to get a lens to start with till you figure out what lens(es) you want to add.

Most reactions

Back