Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
that says, "I don't have to move back and you can't make me."

Mardi Gras Parade, St. Andrews, FL 1-30-16

So,-do-you-want-to-be-the-one.jpg

Very cool image, but isn't having what appears to be real police badges on like that likely to get him arrested for impersonating a police officer?

Very definitely a Police Officer and I think some one in his allotted territory was in the process of receiving his full attention. Me, I cannot think that I would want to be that person.

Very definitely a Police Officer and I think some one in his allotted territory was in the process of receiving his full attention. Me, I cannot think that I would want to be that person.
Wow... I thought that was a joke. Someone needs to get hold of his supervisor and chew him six ways from Sunday!!!! :eek:

Wow... I thought that was a joke. Someone needs to get hold of his supervisor and chew him six ways from Sunday!!!! :eek:

They are required to interact with the crowd as it tends to make them more human, less cop...it works because we rarely have issues on any ilk during Mardi Gras other than the occasional passed out drunk and even then they are much more relaxed. Mind you, you really screw up and you'll quickly see the cop side.

Actually the only thing I don't like about it is the ring on his hand. A gold wedding band would have added extra punch (and more color). Apart from that the photo is brilliant and strikingly topical. I hope you receive full credit when it goes viral. One of the best images I've seen here in a while!

...said the Canuck! lol

...said the Canuck! lol
Sorry, what does nationality have to do with this? The first step in being professional is LOOKING professional, and this looks so unprofessional it's mind-boggling. I'm willing to bet plastic baubles aren't an authorized accessory his dress manual.

There is a big push I the US for cops to be perceived as friendly and not something to be feared. Police are encouraged to participate in community events to facilitate good PR. Within reason of course.

I do not think there is anything territorial or nationalistic that needs to be a part of the discussion. On any other normal day, plastic baubles would not be considered "professional attire" but I just got a note from his boss thanking me and others for showing his officers participating with the onlookers and not being stodgy, stiff-necks. During the summer months most of our beach patrolmen wear shorts (though still wear their vests) and ride bicycles. It is not that they are lax in how the officers look as much as it is trying to dispel the myths of uptight, non caring policemen and women who are so much different from the citizens they serve. During the parade, I saw at least two officers dancing when we played Twist & Shout, much to the delight of the crowd. One of them was a well known captain on the force who encourages more showing of humanity than what so many of us have been witnessing around the country with other police forces. Me, I would rather see one draped in beads and dancing with little kids than being ornery and standoffish. But that's just me.

...said the Canuck! lol
Sorry, what does nationality have to do with this? The first step in being professional is LOOKING professional, and this looks so unprofessional it's mind-boggling. I'm willing to bet plastic baubles aren't an authorized accessory his dress manual.

You'd lose the bet. Read Wyogirls comment below yours. In fact you probably ought to take a look at some YouTubes of British Bobbies.

I do not think there is anything territorial or nationalistic that needs to be a part of the discussion. On any other normal day, plastic baubles would not be considered "professional attire" but I just got a note from his boss thanking me and others for showing his officers participating with the onlookers and not being stodgy, stiff-necks. During the summer months most of our beach patrolmen wear shorts (though still wear their vests) and ride bicycles. It is not that they are lax in how the officers look as much as it is trying to dispel the myths of uptight, non caring policemen and women who are so much different from the citizens they serve. During the parade, I saw at least two officers dancing when we played Twist & Shout, much to the delight of the crowd. One of them was a well known captain on the force who encourages more showing of humanity than what so many of us have been witnessing around the country with other police forces. Me, I would rather see one draped in beads and dancing with little kids than being ornery and standoffish. But that's just me.

Great point. I think a lot of police departments could learn something from the culture they developed. They are there to protect & serve and have found an effective way to do that. Nice capture by the way.

A slightly different way of approaching this would be to darken everything but his face and his chevrons to emphasize his look.
'No matter how I look, I am a policeman.'

upload_2016-2-3_9-43-30.png

Most reactions

Back