So, I am the newbie..

Kelsielinette

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys, my name is Kelsie.

I have been trying to talk myself into joining a photography forum for a good time now and I am finally doing it.

I have a Nikon D3000. Honestly, I don't know what to do with it. I've had it for about 2 years but I haven't really used it as much as I wanted to, I just know that I love photography and I see all these amazing pictures and I am all "I wanna take pictures like that" but when it comes to ISO, and F/ whatever, I don't know what to do. I bought 2 books just the other day trying to educate myself.
&&My cousin ask me to take her wedding pictures in October, and she said she knew I wasn't that experienced but it was okay. She isn't expecting much, just a simple wedding with some nice pictures. But I would like to give her the best I can..
But anyways, back to my introduction.. I'm from sweet home Alabama and I just wanna know what all I can get out of my camera.. and I need your help. :)

Well since you're into books, I would highly recommend the book Understanding Exposure by Brian Peterson. It will break things down for you so that you can better understand ISO and F/whatever.

And since you're new, I wouldn't even bring up that whole wedding thing again. Just shoot your cousins wedding and have fun with it.

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome aboard Kelsie.

I believe that the first step to learning to be a better photographer, is to learn the basics of photography itself. Learn about Exposure...which is to learn about three main things; shutter speed, aperture and ISO. Once you learn how to change & control these three elements, and what happens when you use one setting vs another...then you can start to use your camera as a tool to achieve the photos that you want.

Of course, there is a lot more to it, but you need to understand the basics first.

Books can be a great way to learn, but I'd also suggest that you look for a local class. For example, I teach a 'Using your DSLR' class and most of the students tell me that they learned more, in 12 hours of instruction, than they did in months or years of self study.

Kelsielinette; Right now, your camera knows more about exposure than you do, but you will learn over time. Meanwhile, I agree with ChristopherCoy about not bringing up the subject again. (you know the one)

I would advise you to encourage your cousin to hire a photographer, and if she wants, you can help with the selection. (look at their portfolios)

Yes, read everything you can get, including the user's manual. (some parts of it more than once)

Go through the examples and try to duplicate them. If you see a photograph that you like, try to make one similar to it.

Don't hesitate to ask more questions. (join a local photography club)

When you have a specific question/problem, post one photograph with: What you intended to do, what you did to achieve it, and what were the camera settings.

Then read the critiques and try to do what was suggested.

Have her hire a photographer...even a Craigslister or a Facebook shooter...then YOU go to the wedding and have a great time, and take a few pictures while there. Have fun. Enjoy the D3000! Shoot,shoot,shoot! after a time here, you can post you own poll, asking about bacon and stuff. Only you can know when the time is right to do a poll about bacon. Ask Overread or Big Mike for help. But be cautious around KmH...he's kind of anti-bacon-poll...or so I have heard...Psst..you didn't hear ANY of this from ME!

Thank you everyone for the welcome.

I have been wanting to work with a local photographer that is well known in the area to learn more, but I haven't had the oppurtunity to go talk to him and even if I did it would be hard working around my schedule.. but I hope to learn more about what to and what not to do when it comes to taking pictures.. right now I am doing it for fun and for the enjoyment of it.

Most reactions

Back