So I may have possibly broken my 50mm 1.8. If you can help that would be great.

TheKenTurner

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys, I haven't been on here for a while, but today I pulled my 50mm out of my bag, and it looked like this.

$8kKaX.jpg

for more images, here is an album of the lens! Photo Album - Imgur

Edit: I just fixed it! I think it will probably break again, but it's nice to have working! I tested, and both the aperture and AF work. Although if I do video mode with magic lantern, then it doesn't show how far aware the subject in focus is. But I don't know if it's ever said with this lens. I know it works with my 17-85mm.

Last edited:
junk it and buy a new one. They're cheap

The cost to have a Canon service tech look at it, is probably $100 plus the shipping to get it there. That might also cover the repair, but it's also darn near the price to just buy a new one.

Or you could take it as a lesson and get yourself the Canon 50mm F1.4, which is much, much less likely to fall apart on you. Or maybe the Sigma 50mm F1.4.

I just fixed it! I think it will probably break again, but it's nice to have working! I tested, and both the aperture and AF work. Although if I do video mode with magic lantern, then it doesn't show how far aware the subject in focus is. But I don't know if it's ever said with this lens. I know it works with my 17-85mm.

Looks like my sisters one - though on that I can see where the plastic tabs are which snapped and basically mean her's won't go back together ever again without being repaired. And yeah I'd start saving up for that f1.4 version as soon as you can!

Have you tried fixing it yourself? (More valuable experience, whether you succeed or not).

Assume you've seen the film Apollo 13 ;-)

so, for all those people who think we're kidding or exaggerating, when we repeatedly say that the 50mm f/1.8 is a piece of junk build quality wise...

It really is. Our studio bought 5 of them, all broken within 3 months. Every single last one.

panblue said:
Have you tried fixing it yourself? (More valuable experience, whether you succeed or not).

Assume you've seen the film Apollo 13 ;-)

Yeah, I popped the two plastic pieces together. When I'm on my laptop, I'll try to get the link I used to fix it

-Ken Turner

In the past, I have mentioned this flaw with the 50/1.8 EF-II. It is called "barrel separation". A few people have given me grief for mentioning this well-known issue with this low-cost lens. Thank you for posting your experience.

Derrel said:
In the past, I have mentioned this flaw with the 50/1.8 EF-II. It is called "barrel separation". A few people have given me grief for mentioning this well-known issue with this low-cost lens. Thank you for posting your experience.

Haha! I'm kind of glad that it's common! That means I can find out how to fix it easily ;) could I use super-glue or something?

-Ken Turner

Most reactions

New Topics

Back