So I need a bit critique.. on portrait

vienhuynh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Before I wasn't interested in photography, but when I started dating my gf, I got hook as she loves getting picture taken. I was an absolute noob and has no idea what to do, so I just shoot what I think oke. I mainly do portrait shoot, so I want to improve on this area. So here I go

This is taken around 1 year ago with canon T1i, stock lens from my old XTi, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6. I don't remember the mode nor anything, and original file is lost, this one I downloaded from facebook..... I just think the lighting is good, so I took it.
$bx bachin.jpg

This is more recently, and the setting is:
Canon T1i, /5.6, 1/200sec, ISO-100, focal length 50mm. Using sigma 500 f1.4. So can you guys tell me whether I improve over time, and what else is need to know? Thank you for your feedback.
$IMG_2776.jpg

All handheld btw.

#1 would have benefitted from a lower camera position, and some fill flash. Also tighter frame in portrait format. (vertical)
#2 Please use a tripod and turn the camera to vertical format. Again fill flash.

#1 would have benefitted from a lower camera position, and some fill flash. Also tighter frame in portrait format. (vertical)
#2 Please use a tripod and turn the camera to vertical format. Again fill flash.

Can you elaborate why I need flash in both cases and why a vertical format would be better?

Viet? I think it must be in the blood, every Viet woman loves her photo taken ;)

She's beautiful. Try to not center her in the frame for every shot. Read about "rule of thirds".

Welcome to the forum, enjoy!

Can you elaborate why I need flash in both cases and why a vertical format would be better?

If your subject is mostly vertical, as is a person who is standing, you should frame in vertical format to focus our attention on your subject instead of the background.

"Rules" such as these are intended to be guidelines only, not "RULES". Sometimes you will want to include more background, so then you use horizontal format. Your expression of your art is entirely up to you, but for most people, we try to "make sense" of your photograph, and things like framing will help.

Most reactions

Back