Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What I am currently using:
-Canon 50D
-new to me old version(push/pull zoom) Canon EF100-400mm
-the new EF50mm STM
-a quantaray 28-90 with macro switch
-EFS 18-135mm (I understand this may not work)
-Speedlite 430
I am looking for something that has a full frame sensor, that will also have less noise when using ISO. My 50D has noticeable noise as low as ISO400 in some shots. I have had my 50D for five years now and it has done well, but I am finding that I can't get the shots that I want to come out for me at times. I shoot a lot of landscapes, people, and some wildlife. I do cityscapes from time to time, but that's not a focus. I am an amateur with a very good handle on the mechanics of SLR cameras, and a good base knowledge of the theory involved in photography. I am lacking in experience because everytime I get into it, I fall back out of practice very quickly. I am also new to post production and currently started using Lightroom.
Budget for a new body would be 1500-2500. I want something that I can keep for a few years without it becoming terribly outdated. I do want to stick with Canon since it would cost me an extra two grand to replace the lenses if I switched brands. Thanks in advance for your assistance!

ETA : Full frame is not a must, but I think it would be a good idea.

Any newer Canon will probably give better quality images at any iso than the 50d. I've had a few canons, even older models such as 20d and the 50d had imo the poorest image quality of them all.

Are you buying new? The obvious choice is the 5d3, but I'd even think the 70d would be a good improvement and also work extremely well with your stm lenses

I will be buying either new or refurbished. I'm not looking into something used. I also am in no rush to purchase so the budget could increase a little, and newer products may become available driving down the costs of some of the current bodies out there. Thanks for the input

2500, no brainer, 5D MKIII.

That seems to be the best thing in my range available right now. What did those cost when they were first released? And what is the best site to get a "deal"?

Last edited:
3500 if I recall correctly

For the money the best full frame camera today is the Nikon D750 it will be better in low light then Canon current models the 5D III and 6D
If you want to stay with Canon I would advise to wait for them to change their FF lineup which is said to happened in few moneth but those are rumors only.
Another option is Nikon D610 which is cheaper then the D750 but still a very good camera, its about 1/3 stop less sensitive then the D750 in lower light.

Also if fast shooting isn't your primary thing the 6d is said to have even better image quality than the 5d3, though obviously its not as robust, but it is a step in the ff door for smaller money

For the money the best full frame camera today is the Nikon D750 it will be better in low light then Canon current models the 5D III and 6D
If you want to stay with Canon I would advise to wait for them to change their FF lineup which is said to happened in few moneth but those are rumors only.
Another option is Nikon D610 which is cheaper then the D750 but still a very good camera, its about 1/3 stop less sensitive then the D750 in lower light.

Not to mention you can find them around $1500 some days.

Guess it means nothing when the OP says "I want to stick with Canon..."!

HAHA, so true! I was sure the D750 was gonna be pushed by a certain poster:D

ronlane said:
I agree, I just saw that B&H had the 5D mkIII body only for $2499 today.

Well...that makes me wonder: are there any e-Bay vendors selling them in one- and two-day sales events at $2,199, as happened last time when the 5d Mark II was on its way out toward its official EOL (end of life)? Because that is almost exactly the way Canons higher-end cameras have been sold. The e-Bay vendor thing was, according to some sources last time, being underwritten by e-Bay as a way to generate huge buzz, and as a way to try to get people to see e-Bay as a valid shopping network, instead of the Big 5 web sites and of course, instead of the colossus that is Amazon.com. I recall at least four sales events last time on e-Bay, with stupid-cheap prices on 5D Mark II bodies from only two e-Bay vendors, and the buzz was tremendous!

ronlane said:
I agree, I just saw that B&H had the 5D mkIII body only for $2499 today.

Well...that makes me wonder: are there any e-Bay vendors selling them in one- and two-day sales events at $2,199, as happened last time when the 5d Mark II was on its way out toward its official EOL (end of life)? Because that is almost exactly the way Canons higher-end cameras have been sold. The e-Bay vendor thing was, according to some sources last time, being underwritten by e-Bay as a way to generate huge buzz, and as a way to try to get people to see e-Bay as a valid shopping network, instead of the Big 5 web sites and of course, instead of the colossus that is Amazon.com. I recall at least four sales events last time on e-Bay, with stupid-cheap prices on 5D Mark II bodies from only two e-Bay vendors, and the buzz was tremendous!
Could be. I know the 1Dx has been selling at a substantial discount. $700 off plus almost $300 in extras.

PhotoPlus starts tomorrow, maybe we'll see something new announced.

Beyond that, OP, if you don't need a top flight AF system, then I'd look at the 6D. From and absolute IQ standpoint, it beats out the 5DII and 5DIII. With your budget you could pick up a new 6D and a new Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC lens. The Tamron has IQ equivalent to a "good" copy of the first generation Canon 24-70L and it has VC (vibration control aka Image stabilization). If you go with used kit you could save even more money (I've seen used 6D bodies for $750-$800). Right now you can get a used copy of the Tamron from Amazon for $850, coupled with $800 for the 6D and you still have almost a grand for whatever other bits of kit you feel necessary.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back