So I tried it.

It stop direct light from the background light onto the subject but it won't stop it reflecting onto the subject if they are to close, how close was the subject to the backdrop ?

6 Feet ish.
That's a big part of your spill problem. It's to close to the background. It would help immensely if you could double that to 12 to 15 feet.

I suspected that lol but I need some seamless paper the cloth drop I had only went so far. Picking up some paper next week when I do my Christmas shopping. :thumbup:

I'm not a huge fan of the high-key look in general, but I think these work, and as mentioned, good, solid, children's portraits.

I'm not a huge fan of the high-key look in general, but I think these work, and as mentioned, good, solid, children's portraits.

Thanks John, it was definitely another learning experience for me where I had a lot of fun. Tried to do some with my family and it was awful. I just decided I'm going to let the kids be whatever they want from now on and go that route.

This is a good example of why so many people like to use Thunder gray paper and bring it "up" to white...it creates much less "wrap" or "blowback" onto the subjects. When shooting seated kids for a Christmas shot, that does however require that they are positioned on a white fabric or white cloth of some type...but for standing work, or head and shoulders or half-body, using gray is easy...

You're simply using too much light on the background...there's too much light blasting back, and it is "wrapping" around the edges of the subjects. Some people actually like wrap....a little, to a lot...it CAN actually look pretty nice on ethereal, high-key, or feminine subjects...

A good way to flag off backlight is with large, standing V-flats, made of whatever....two large panels, attached in the middle with hinges of clamps, tape, wire, twine, etc, and arranged into a wide V-shape, so that they are free-standing.

Still, these turned out cute. For such a new lighting kit, you're getting pretty good results so far!

Very Well done!!! I Love These !!! They are awesome. Was this type of shot hard to get the lighting just right?

This is a good example of why so many people like to use Thunder gray paper and bring it "up" to white...it creates much less "wrap" or "blowback" onto the subjects. When shooting seated kids for a Christmas shot, that does however require that they are positioned on a white fabric or white cloth of some type...but for standing work, or head and shoulders or half-body, using gray is easy...

You're simply using too much light on the background...there's too much light blasting back, and it is "wrapping" around the edges of the subjects. Some people actually like wrap....a little, to a lot...it CAN actually look pretty nice on ethereal, high-key, or feminine subjects...

A good way to flag off backlight is with large, standing V-flats, made of whatever....two large panels, attached in the middle with hinges of clamps, tape, wire, twine, etc, and arranged into a wide V-shape, so that they are free-standing.

Still, these turned out cute. For such a new lighting kit, you're getting pretty good results so far!

I chalk that up to very educated and patient people willing to explain things to me in simple terms. ;) Most of these people are on this forum. :hug::

Nice work Dee, you are learning quickly.

I agree with Derrell, there is simply too much light on the background, and with not being able to move them farther away, you get that 'wrap'.

My white backdrop isn't very long, so I bought a sheet of white fiber board from Home Depot. It extends the white 'floor' and also gives a harder surface for the kids to stand/sit/play on.

A lot of people like to use the shiny 'bathroom' white board, as it can give you a reflection on the floor.

Mar14-web-09.jpg

Forrest-xmas-08.jpg

Nice work Dee, you are learning quickly.

I agree with Derrell, there is simply too much light on the background, and with not being able to move them farther away, you get that 'wrap'.

My white backdrop isn't very long, so I bought a sheet of white fiber board from Home Depot. It extends the white 'floor' and also gives a harder surface for the kids to stand/sit/play on.

A lot of people like to use the shiny 'bathroom' white board, as it can give you a reflection on the floor.

Mar14-web-09.jpg

Forrest-xmas-08.jpg

Thanks Mike, I like that effect and it would be so nice not to have wrinkles. Will definitely check into that when I go into Calgary next week.

....A good way to flag off backlight is with large, standing V-flats, made of whatever....two large panels, attached in the middle with hinges of clamps, tape, wire, twine, etc, and arranged into a wide V-shape, so that they are free-standing..
A visual aid to Derrel's comment.

zarias.com :: The blog of editorial photographer Zack Arias White Seamless Tutorial :: Part 1 :: Gear & Space

Thanks Kundalini, thats what I thought but a visual is excellent. I actually follow this guy on twitter but hadn't seen this one. :thumbup:

I love #3! Beautiful. I'd be interested to see the initial unedited image.

As requested sooc image. You can see I boosted the exposure on the background to eliminate the shadow, upped saturation in her hat a bit, warmed up the photo just a wee tad, and did some skin softening since she has the weird circulation look in the SOOC.

Attachments

• $DSC_0026.jpg
    $DSC_0026.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 41
I love #3! Beautiful. I'd be interested to see the initial unedited image.

As requested sooc image. You can see I boosted the exposure on the background to eliminate the shadow, upped saturation in her hat a bit, warmed up the photo just a wee tad, and did some skin softening since she has the weird circulation look in the SOOC.

Thanks for posting the sooc image. Again, nice job!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back