So I want to better camera...

ababysean

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to upgrade.
I bought a D3000 and I want a better camera.
I want to stay with Nikon because I have Nikon Lens.

What is a good upgrade?

I dont want the D5000

Is the D200 outdated?
I can get a used one for 600 dollars.

or should I just get a new D90.

There are so many different versions. I am confused. I'd like to stay under 1000.

I would definitely choose the D90 over the D200, but what is that is not good enough about your D3000?

If you can wait a little longer you may benefit from the D90 replacement - either as the upgrade, or as the result of better prices on the remaining D90 inventory or decreased used D90 prices. I would not go for the D200 at this point, but it is a fine camera - just a bit dated at this point.

Your stated budget makes the D300s too expensive, but if you are waiting anyway you may be able to save up for it by then.

Steve

are they updating the D90 soon?

Is the 300 far superior to the 90?

are they updating the D90 soon?

Yes - that's the expectation. We won't know until it's official.

Yes, but it depends on what's important to you. D300s is a bigger body with weather sealing and a better AF system, among other things. But it shares the same sensor as the D90. The New D90 has been the subject of much speculation (along with the new D700) but neither has been announced yet - just the D3000 replacement.

It all depends on why you want to upgrade. What is your future plan? Is the camera you're using not good enough for what work you're doing now? Those are few things to think about. I think IMO if I was to upgrade mine, it'd be a full frame camera. I would still use my 500D when I need to. It's easy to spend money but then once you spend it you might be like "well, it's not making my pictures any more superior than want I'm shooting now, but I am lacking that full frame for wide shots"

Far superior in what respect? Image quality? No. In burst mode, RAW file choices, auto focus module, auto bracket mode, and others? Yes, the D300/D300s is far superior.

The D5000/D90/D300/D300s all use the same 12.3 MP, CMOS image sensor.
The D5000 has a less expensive to make low pass filter in front of it's image sensor than the D90/D300/D300s. So, those 3 have nearly equal image quality and ISO performance.

The D3000/D90 has the same Multi-CAM1000 auto focus module (11 focus points, 1 cross-type).
The D300/D300s has the Multi-CAM3500DX auto focus module (51 focus points, 15 cross-type).
Nikon Multi-CAM3500 AF Module

I would wait until they release the D90s replacement.. as it may significantly drop the current price on the D90. However, id it *doesnt* drop... then id go with the D90 anyway. Just for the AF motor itself... which the D5000 lacks. Had i read up a little more i would have went the same route myself...

I would wait until they release the D90s replacement.. as it may significantly drop the current price on the D90. However, id it *doesnt* drop... then id go with the D90 anyway. Just for the AF motor itself... which the D5000 lacks. Had i read up a little more i would have went the same route myself...

Although the AF motor is a nice to have, are there any lenses on your list that don't have the AF motor built in? Most of the lenses I'm looking at have AF motors built in it doesn't seem to add to much to the cost, and only the very lower end glass at this point is motorless. Like the 70-300 non vr, or the 50 1.8. I thought having this would be great but in reality I don't have a huge Nikon lens collection that I need to utilize and all the lenses I'm looking at have AF motors built in. After a quick search on B&H even the "cheap" 70-200 f2.8 aftermarket lenses sans VR are at least internal focus. I would imagine the next D90 replacement does NOT have this motor and it's reserved for higher end units. Instead I speculate it will replace the cost of that motor with better features. Gradually phasing it out.

What do you need to do that your D3000 cannot do?

Honestly I don't think I've pushed its limits either.

But I feel like a dork when I go shoot people and they have a better camera then I do. lol That is the main thing.

But I feel like a dork when I go shoot people and they have a better camera then I do. lol That is the main thing.

WOW really?? Seriously that's not a reason for you to dish out money like that. Get a better lens and with techniques you can outperform a guy with a $3000 camera. :thumbup:

I couldn't give a **** what other people have got, i still use 1Dmk2's and a 1Dmk1 and still get better shots than people i shoot with that have mk4's, it's not what you have it's how you use it

I would really suggest saving up for a full frame. Although the D700 is quite a bit over your budget, I think you would see more of a difference, than if you just jumped up to a D90. If you don't go with the 700, at least go for the D300s.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back