So I want to shoot some people . . .

Canon Fan said:
Maybe I'll just walk in with this . . .

fs122.jpg

And say "freeze sucka's!" :lol:

Sure would be some unique expressions before my ride to jail!
That adds a new meaning to shooting your subject. :lol:

I like the idea of 'business' cards... I'm going to make some up for myself despite being an (obvious!) amatuer.

Mine will have only my name, stating that I am an amateur photographer, and my Email Address. The few times I have mustered the minerals to actually ask someone if I can shoot them, and they said yes, I was always left feeling like the least I could do is give them a copy.

Cheaper/easier and much more convenient for me to simply give them my E-dress and tell them to email me. right?

If you're serious about it, I wouldn't put your name and email address on a biz card. I'd start an on-line gallery to post your pictures to, then put your name and URL on the biz card. You'll go crazy trying to email people pictures all the time, then they'll want you to send them prints and stuff. I get that all the time when I take pictures at parties (company parties, kids Bday parties, etc). Friends wanting prints. I just post a bunch of shots into an online album and give out the URL.

but back to the original question, i think it's easiest to catch people from the side when they're not looking. you don't need a super long lens - my 105 on DSLR does pretty good from 10 or 15 feet. that said, i still feel pretty uncomfortable taking pics of strangers.

The URL instead of email sounds like a great idea. The only problem I can think of is that some people are still a little apprehensive about having thier picture posted on the internet.

once again Danalec99 has provided the correctness. If your interest is photographing these people. Be proud and strong. Be sure to develop a relationship and explain your intentions. It sounds like you may have an essay as opposed to a cute shot of ma and pa Kettle in their shop. Visit often and always be shooting.

The problem is how comfortable the subject is in front of the camera. This is our responsibility as photographers. The decisive moment could be captured in one shot without anyone knowing. Personally that is not the way I shoot. All people are beautiful and that must clearly be explained to the subject. Again always be shooting.

Personally I have been working in theater for years and that has really helped. Not only have I gained knowledge of self; I am no longer shy. Vanity or reluctance to be photographed is generally bs

The tips before will all probably work, but why so complicated? I mean by the time you've rehearsed your lines you'll be walking in there all nervous and start stuttering and they'll just say no. A business card is way overkill I think. If some guy came up to me and asked if he could take a picture that's fine. But if he'd start waving business cards around I'd get pissed off and say no.
just go for simple. "Do you mind if I take a few pictures? It's a beautiful shop." In most cases they will say yes and if not it's still better than not having asked in the first place.

It gets easier and easier. Just force yourself the first few times. You often end up having a really nice conversation as an added bonus and your photos will even have a little story surrounding them.

Thomas

Have u ever tried to take pics of people on the street?

It's not that bad... people usually just walk by.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back