So if B&W is monochrome....

Arkanjel Imaging

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Why isnt color film called omnichrome? :scratch:

should be multichrome? no? omni would imply ir/uv/gamma/microwave/radio etc also were captured :)

Trichrome

Which is kind of a misnomer. Though all colors are made of the primary three, infinitely more exist within the colorwheel. Omnichrome would imply "all colors."

should be multichrome? no? omni would imply ir/uv/gamma/microwave/radio etc also were captured :)

Just because you cant see them doesnt mean they (ir/uv) werent captured by your film/sensor. ;)

Edit: and "chrome" would only apply to being affected by light waves. Not gamma/microwave/radio. They are waves, but not light waves.

Last edited:
In color photography, light-sensitive chemicals or electronic sensors record color information at the time of exposure. This is usually done by analyzing the spectrum of colors into three channels of information, one dominated by red, another by green and the third by blue, in imitation of the way the normal human eye senses color. The recorded information is then used to reproduce the original colors by mixing together various proportions of red, green and blue light (RGB color, used by video displays, digital projectors and some historical photographic processes), or by using dyes or pigments to remove various proportions of the red, green and blue which are present in white light (CMY color, used for prints on paper and transparencies on film).
Color photography - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hence, Trichrome.

Did you really just Wiki me? :er: Notice though that even Wiki uses monochrome to describe b/w and doesnt use trichrome for color? Like I said, I grasp the 3 primaries and 3 color process concepts. But I never thought trichrome was appropriately descriptive of color images.

I know that nobody really uses the term 'trichrome' film etc....we just say color (colour).

But if you look at the way color film is made up, it has 3 layers, each for a different color 'channel'. So if we are talking about monochrome vs color...it would make sense (to me) to call it tri-chrome, rather than poly-chrome or multi-chrome etc.

Digital sensors work in much the same way...reading separate color channels and combinging them to form a color image...but I think that most sensors use 4 channels. Red, blue and two greens.

Last edited:
Sergei Prokudin-Gorski made many,many color photographs in Russia from around 1907 to 1915, using THREE-frame images, shot on B&W film, with red,green,and blue filters...he made three exposures in rapid succession, and people had to hold still and not move as the glass plate was moved into position for each successive exposure.

These "tri-color" images have beautiful color rendition. Here's a page that shows the camera type and describes/diagrams the process. Making Color Images from Prokudin-Gorskii's Negatives - The Empire That Was Russia: The Prokudin-Gorskii PhotographicRecord Recreated (A Library of Congress Exhibition)

There were other,later photographers who used what were called "Tri-Color Cameras", before color film was developed. I saw some neat samples years ago, of American film actors of the late 1920's and early 1930's, photographed using the tri-color process by a Hollywood photographer.

Uh.....B&W isn't monochrome.

B&W is grayscale.

Greyscale, B&W, and monochrome are not the same thing.

Nough Said....;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh.....B&W isn't monochrome.

B&W is grayscale.

Greyscale, B&W, and monochrome are not the same thing.
True, but if you want to be really accurate, B&W isn't grey scale, it's black and white. Only! ;)

How is B&W, or grey scale not monochrome?

Monochrome is just varying shades of a single color - which grey scale and B&W both are...

Monochrome doesn't necessarily have to be shades of grey (it could be shades of red, for example), but shades of grey are monochrome...

Because chroma indicates color. Which b/w does not have. It has value, but no color.

So you're saying that grey is not a color?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back