So, I've done it!

misstwinklytoes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I decided to go ahead and talk to a friend of mine (board member of a church of about 50 people) about trying to take some photographs of the members as practice and to try to build my portfolio. I am getting the 50mm 1.8 lens, a tripod, a Speedlite 270EX and light sphere diffuser, and maybe a backdrop and holder. I won't be doing this for another month or so, but I thought I'd go ahead and mention it to get the wonderful advice you guys always offer. I have made it most clear that I am not a professional, but that I was trying to learn new things and I made it clear that I would like that portrayed to any potential "models". I will also need a consent form, no? Where do I go about trying to find one or find out how to make one?

This is what I'm offering. It's barely over cost, but it should cover my 2 hr drive and the shipping of the prints.

12 - wallets
16 - wallets
2 - 5x7
12 - wallets

11x14 - $11.00
8x10 - $6.00
5x7 - $3.50
4 wallets - $2.00

Priced too low, if the shots are good they wont mind paying the extra, at least double the figures, personally I'd quadruple and more. H

I understand why you have them priced low but with a 2hr drive time I think I would atleast double your prices.

Priced too low, if the shots are good they wont mind paying the extra, at least double the figures, personally I'd quadruple and more. H

I would have to agree, I mean if your driving out there and it takes 2 hours, double up your prices. If the shots are good they might even tip you a little bit more. ;)

As this is a first time thing for me and I have no idea how it will turn out I'm mostly okay with losing a little bit of money on it. It's kind of like a learning experience that you have to pay for. I won't lose much. My main concern is who's gonna watch my kids. :lmao: It's a very small town, and I used to be a member of the church and a lot of members are just barely scraping by. I don't mind helping them out in my process of learning. I suppose I should have said that I also made it clear to my friend that these were extreme discounts and on the chance that one of the church members refers someone to me they will not be getting the same price. It IS a two hour drive, but it's also the town where my mom lives and it's a good excuse to be able to visit her. :)

Alright, then i guess it's not too bad but i'm saying like once you get a little bit further into it like lets say 10 clients in you could definately up the price a little bit.
After all the decision is yours. :thumbup:

*nods* I had a feeling people would bet all, "WTF?! Are you -trying- to lose money?!" But it's not really that. If this goes as well as I hope it does, I'll like increase a bit more on the next opportunity, but being such a big risk I don't want to doom it. :lol:

Oh no I completely understand, when i made my first deal it was still from somebody down the road but I mean he collects sports photos, and since I was at the 2010 olympics for a snowboarding even I got him a Sean White photo and he stil paid me $70.00 for it. Enlarged ofcourse and touched up and laminated. But I mean still.

I think I would just be happy to have people sit for a photograph. I'd give them a card with a website where they could view the entire photoshoot, and if they wanted to purchase prints, they could do so online.

I dunno. It sounds like you intend to show up at the location with camera and price point, and these people are merely there for you to a) fill out your portfolio; and b) profit from.

Sounds kinda hokey. Hope it goes well for you, though.

I understand your pricing.
I get flack too about how low I am, but right now, I think it is fair.

Plus, look at this like free advertising. However, being 2 hours away is a bit out of range, KWIM?

Can you do it at a more local church?

I actually planned on making a trip down there with proofs and order forms....

Hokey, really?

I think white has a good idea too.
Right now I offer complimentary session and low resolution images. If they want to purchase larger prints, that is when they contact me and we work out a deal.

KWIM?

I'm not from Texas. All of my family (& potential babysitters) are at this location so it makes more sense to do it there than it does to do it here.

We've only been here a year and since I've had my head in college and my 2 yr old that whole time I've not met a bunch of people.

And considering my husband works at the federal prison, I'm not too keen on photographing the people he's met. :D

Your prices and game plan is just fine.

HELLO! The real test will be after all this previous chatter of raising prices and blah, blah, blah is will anyone show up and pay you!

Take your plan as is and adjust it after you learn the lessons from the actual event. Many business start doing what ever but they have no customers to speak of.

The market will educate you far further than this forum will.

Good luck and hope it works out.

Most reactions

Back