So lets say

How much camera equipment would you take on a long trip camping?

• Just the best DSLR and lenses

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Just all digitals

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Just the best 35mm and lenses

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just the best SLR and DSLR and lenses

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Just the Best Medium format camera and lenses

• Just the best MF and DSLR

• Just the best SLR, DSLR, and MF and lenses

• Just the 4x5 view camera

• Just the best SLR, DSLR, MF, and LF, and lenses

• Just the best DSLR, MF and LF, plus lenses

• Just the best DSLR, and LF plus lenses

• Everything small I can take

• Everything I can carry on my person thats it

• Everything I can fit in available space

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Everything, fill space left over with camping equipment

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters

benhasajeep

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
You have a friend with a photography "problem". And he is going on a 5 week trip to Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, and Glacier National Parks (I think ;) ). Now this friend has a lot of equipment. He will be going in a full sized pickup (4 door shortbed). And a small pop up camper. How much equipment would you take?

Hey there, I have a similar issue at the minute, will be roughing it in Malaysia for 4 weeks. I decided to take my dSLR and most versatile zoom lens, along with a small compact digital also. That way at least I can accomodate for most shots, and most outings depending on space I have in my bag at the time.

I think the trick is not to go overboard, but if you think you really need it then take it... I set everything out and said "right, which can I leave here without kicking myself in the shins should I need it..." For example, as much as I love my 50mm prime, my 28-105 will cover this focal length and more, maybe not as well or as quickly... but its staying home! I've found that changing lenses and fiddling with bits in pieces whilst for example camping, or being in dirtier conditions that normal can lead to getting muck into your camera and lenses too...

Also if bits and pieces are small it might be worth squeezing them in, better looking at it than looking for it!!

Obviously with your friend having a pickup he can lockand a tent to keep things in he can take lots more stuff than me (where I'll be sleeping under the stars probably!), and with exciting national parks etc on his doorstep he'd maybe be a fool not to! I think its just a case of being realistic about what you'll need...

benhasajeep said:
Now this friend has a lot of equipment. He will be going in a full sized pickup (4 door shortbed). And a small pop up camper. How much equipment would you take?
Well, your 'friend' won't be paying extra for carry-ons so if I were your 'friend' I'd bring everything. Speaking from experience, you only need it if you don't bring it. That's what I do when I'm traveling in my truck. Just keep cramming stuff in the extra cab until you can't see out the rear window anymore ;)

Michael............been there, done that, but I have forgotten it once or twice

Biggest problem is all food and food handling items have to go inside the vehicle (while not eating / cooking). This includes coolers with just drinks in it. So there will be a bunch of transferring around everytime traveling and setting up camp. They are pretty strict with this. I was at Zion a couple years ago. People next door left food out. Attracted just some deer. The rangers gave the people tickets as soon as they got back to camp. Plus in the northern parks its more a bear problem than deer.

When I travel I can get into some remote areas. I always carry a dslr and one film slr body just in case. It really sucks to be in the middle of someplace and break a camera and not have a back up.

I wish I had this "problem"... on so many levels. ;) what's the point in having it if you don't use it? I say your 'friend' should take whatever he has room for... and they better share lotsa pics when they get back... :thumbup:

I'd bring everything with me, bro. The second you don't bring a LF cam with you and see the Tetons you'll wish you did.

Most reactions

Back