So long, Nikon

I went to the store to look at FujiFilm
but JC bought them out earlier LOL

So I fiddled with the Sony mirrorless instead.
I've always liked them. Nice smooth action lenses, etc.
I wonder how the Fuji would have been?

Love my X-T10 IQ,color and ISO Noise is better then my Nikon D7200 hands down. If I didn't do wildlife shooting, I would be totally happy with fuji alone and build quality is amazing.

The camera is excellent although I haven't been able to get the hot shoe to work yet. I'm running out of possibilities that the problem is me. We'll see. I did make a few shots on my way home from the doctor's office today and I thought you might like to see an image made with the camera. This is a high contrast subject. The shot was made in P mode with no compensation. The JPEG was made by the camera. It is not edited, just resized for the web . It is straight out of the camera with the kit lens set to 16mm. I couldn't have gotten a crisper image from a Nikon.

1source.jpg

The Fuji wide angle zoom is $1000. I may or may not go for one. I found a Rokinon 12mm super wide for around $250. They have it both in black and silver. Didn't order it but it could be a possiblity. Rokinon also has a full frame fisheye, something I've always owned and enjoyed with my Nikons. These are manual focus lenses. Not an issue for me.
I think @Gary A. has that 12mm and is happy with it. Maybe he will chime in.
I have the 12mm Zeiss, The 8mm Rokinon (fish) but not the 12mm Rokinon.

Last edited:
The camera is excellent although I haven't been able to get the hot shoe to work yet. I'm running out of possibilities that the problem is me. We'll see. I did make a few shots on my way home from the doctor's office today and I thought you might like to see an image made with the camera. This is a high contrast subject. The shot was made in P mode with no compensation. The JPEG was made by the camera. It is not edited, just resized for the web . It is straight out of the camera with the kit lens set to 16mm. I couldn't have gotten a crisper image from a Nikon.

View attachment 139808
Fuji makes good stuff, (with the exception being hot shoes).

Thats the first time I ever heard from anyone that the hotshoe of Fujifilm cameras would be a problem ?!?!?

I found a decent deal on ebay for a brand new Fuji X-E1 camera for $289. I ordered it in and, assuming the hot shoe works, I'll dedicate it to the product photography. It has an eye level finder as well in case I decide I can't live with screen only composition.

The X-E1 arrived today and I made some images with it in the back yard. Contrary to popular opinion I preferred using the monitor to the eye level finder but the the eye level works just fine. The sensor is a little disappointing. In my opinion the X-A3 has a better, more colorful and snappier sensor. It also has better low light performance. Nothing a little post process can't fix. I did enjoy seeing and using the shutter speed dial. It took me back to the good old days. The other good news is that the hot shoe works! :)

There are a few left on Ebay brand new for $289. It is a whale of a bargain and a good way to get into the Fujifilm system on a budget.

Now I need to get busy selling all the Nikon stuff. I will miss it.

Bare in mind that mirrorless cameras tend to be very good at adapting lenses. If as you say you're quite happy with manual focus many Nikon lenses should be very usable with the Fuji. Lenses without an aperture ring might prove awkward but any favorites among the older Nikon's should still be worth hanging on to. :)

Now I need to get busy selling all the Nikon stuff. I will miss it.

Bare in mind that mirrorless cameras tend to be very good at adapting lenses. If as you say you're quite happy with manual focus many Nikon lenses should be very usable with the Fuji. Lenses without an aperture ring might prove awkward but any favorites among the older Nikon's should still be worth hanging on to. :)

I'm not ready for stop down metering. I gave that up decades ago.

The purpose of the project was to replace big and heavy with small and light. I have sold lenses that weigh more than either Fuji camera with the telephoto zoom attached. The project turned out to be an upgrade. I got smaller, lighter, better built and better image quality. Great new technology. I have one Nikon body and two lenses to go and they will go. I understand your point, though.

The XE1 has the old 16mp sensor, the 24mp. The XA3 uses a standard bayer sensor while the XE1 has the 'special' Fuji CFA.

Yes, that's right. My understanding is that the X-Trans sensor allows for the elimination of the anti-aliasing filter and that makes images noticeable sharper. My Fujinon 60mm macro arrived today so I tested it in the back yard with the X-E1. It seems to work just fine.
padlock.jpg
pinkflower.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back