So many choices. Any advice?

Whatsername

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My husband wants to buy me a nice digital camera like a mirrorless or DSLR. He wants me to essentially choose what I would want except that I have no idea since I've never owned either one I've never held either one and so it's really confusing for me. I will say I am home most of the time, I can't drive so I will take a lot of pictures at my house but I will take it when we travel so I do want to have more lenses over time. I have only ever used a point and shoot and SLR cameras. I'm still pretty new to the more technical stuff I've been learning my XD-11 slowly and reading things online for getting better pictures.

On the digital camera side I have only used a Nikon point and shoot (which I do like but in the sun it can be horrible to take pictures with) and a cell phone (from razr m3-galaxy s8.) I enjoy taking pictures of animals, so I would like something with natural color, something that handles their fast pace movements, clear crisp pictures, I take pictures in all kinds of light so something that can handle anything from bright to pretty low light. I will end up taking video with it I don't video log or anything like that but I do take my own personal videos of my family and animals and I do videos of repairs on old toys. I would like it to be affordable I would say up to $700. I'm not a pro but I would like something that I can customize as I learn and go along.

Any suggestions from people who have experience with both? Any suggestions as a first time digital camera? Thank you so much everyone!

You're looking at an entry-level camera, something like Nikon's D3500 or Canon's Rebel T5 or T6. Keep in mind that over time, as you learn what you're doing and run into limits on the camera's capabilities, you'll want to upgrade. You can upgrade bodies and keep your lenses, but you'll have to stay with whatever brand you decide on initially so your lenses work on your new upgrade cameras. You're basically selecting a lens line when you start, whether you realize it or not, as changing brands later mean starting over completely.

I bought this camera https://amzn.to/37TXA0m a professional photographer and have worked with everything from a Canon film camera to the Nikon D4 to travel with and take pictures of the kids. if you want the quality of a DSLR in a small, easier to travel with size. This camera is great for travelers or moms. It's fast, and easy to use. I am one that always has my camera in manual mode, but I have found even in the auto setting this camera gets it right. It also has a creative assist function where you can play with the setting, find one you like, and save it for future and I am BLOWN AWAY by the picture quality this little camera produces, along with its bluetooth connectivity and overall functionality. Seriously easy to use, the lens that comes with the camera is far better quality than I was expecting. I took a few test shots in low light, they look great! Also, the swivel screen is an AMAZING feature for doing self-portraits!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I only have DSLR's but if I was starting out with a new kit, I would go mirrorless. They will eventually take over the market, at least on the consumer side. I prefer APS-C sensors since the cameras are smaller and travel better. Sony, Nikon and Canon all have good lineups.

At you price point I would lean toward the Sony a6000.
https://www.adorama.com/isoa6000k3a.html?CategoryID=240617

Last edited:
I would like it to be affordable I would say up to $700.
To get a decent camera with a lens for $700, you would do well to consider a used camera. A quick look at eBay showed me this:

Nikon D7100 used | eBay

Then you'll need a tripod and a speedlight, but a good start nevertheless. The Nikon D7100 is an "enthusiast" camera, which means it does quite a lot. You can get some really good lenses for a few hundred each, and something you can put on your "wish list" for later.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
go mirrorless. They are lighter and easier to use.

Look at the Panasonic G100 for beginners.
It's a 4/3 mirrorless camera w/ a fixed image stablized zoom lens designed by Leica. (Panasonic does the electronics for Leica cameras, and Leica designs the Panasonic lenses.)

It shoots 4k video which is its strength.
It's marketed for vloggers but it is still a 4/3 still camera that will shoot raw. Has a viewfinder for bright days. It will send photos and video to your phone.

Panasonics link:
G100 - Panasonic

Amazon price:
https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Mirrorless-Vlogging-12-32mm-DC-G100KK/dp/B08B7W6L82

Review:
Panasonic Lumix G100 | Camera Jabber
Panasonic Lumix G100 Review | Trusted Reviews

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I only have DSLR's but if I was starting out with a new kit, I would go mirrorless. They will eventually take over the market, at least on the consumer side. I prefer APS-C sensors since the cameras are smaller and travel better. Sony, Nikon and Canon all have good lineups.

Similarly, I only used SLR and DSLR but I'm considering a ff mirrorless. I've migrated from crop sensors to preferred ff. Size and weight ain't really an issue for me tho.

go mirrorless. They are lighter and easier to use.

Only for the camera itself. Lenses may or may not be lighter.

If you really want to reduce weight, you need to go to a smaller format mirrorless camera, with matching NON-PRO lens.
Like APS-C rather than FF, or even m4/ rather than FF.
Even then you have to select carefully.

I agree, APS-C seems to be a good format for MANY people.

While I shoot Nikon, the Nikon Z50 currently only has TWO matching lenses. But those two lenses may be all you need.
We have to wait for Nikon to release other lenses for the Z50.
If you want any other lens now, your only choices are: to use the Z FX lenses, with no stabilization, or the older F lens and an FTZ adapter.

Canon's M50, I think has a better assortment of lenses.

I have no data on the Sony APS-C mirrorless.
The problem with Sony is the UI. I have friends with Sony, and they say the camera is great, the UI stinks.

If you're to using a phone and a compact - then go for a mirrorless with a good 'intelligent auto' mode.

Olympus, Panasonic if compact size is important.

Fuji if slightly bigger is OK and you want to be able get blurred backgrounds withput fancy lenses and use in lower light.

Canon, Nikon 'full frame' mirrorless for even higher quality and if you want to print huge sizes.

Hold them and play with them in a shop for at least 30 minutes to find one you like the 'feel' of. You can't buy a bad interchangeable lens camera these days, so don't worry about relative image quality.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back