So many hobbies! So little time!

KnightofDoom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, I'm guessing that most of us on this forum don't shoot professionally and use photography as a outlet and as a hobby, so I figured maybe some you guys might be in the same boat as I am and might have something to say about this.

Also, if you don't want to read my venting and ranting, I suggest you leave this page.

About 3-4 years ago, I was going through a pretty tough and confusing time in my life and all I was doing was working and hanging out with my girlfriend. The frustration and sadness I was going through got to the point where my feelings turned to anger and boredom. Then after a certain point, I would always find myself watching TV or something and thinking "That looks so cool. I wish I could do something like that....Oh well." After a while, I told myself "I don't have any skills or hobbies and just feel so damn boring. There's no reason I can't do those things. I will not let myself grow old and say 'I wish I could've done this with my life' or 'I wish I could learn to do that.'" I'm sure this had to do with my father having a near death experience and seeing first hand that life is WAAAAAAYYYY too short and the more time we spend wanting to do something, the less time we get to do something about it.

This epiphany created a monster in me. Every thing I ever thought was interesting or cool I started to do and I now I want to try everything this world has to offer. I started getting tattoos, piercings, body modification, playing electric guitar, skateboarding, learning German, photography, woodworking, making stop-motion movies, cooking, and probably a few others I'm forgetting about right now. I usually tend to do a ton of research on a hobby or skill, I obsess about these things, I start them and make a ton of progress on them, lose interest, then start a new hobby. Now, I have a ton of hobbies and I am a master of none of them.

There is a tiny bit of frustration in me because I have all these hobbies and I want to work on all of them but I lose interest and a few months later I start it up again. Yesterday, I decided to start playing guitar again after not even touching it for over 2 years and let my girlfriend know. She responds by saying that I have so many hobbies and give them up that I never focus or keep up with one. So now I feel lost. But I started searching for other people with this issue and found this guy Help! I can’t stick with anything for very long! And that’s ok After reading this I feel so inspired. It doesn't matter if you don't perfect a hobby, all that matters is that you have fun while doing it and learn something. Now, looking back I noticed that in the last 3 years Ive learned a ton of German, I'm a decent skateboarder, I know how to play the guitar (barely), I've made a short stop-motion film and I've improved my photography. I, also, want to start doing Muy Thai in the near future and I know that within the next year I'll probably have another 2-3 hobbies.

I think the most important and most life changing event I went through after this epiphany was that after graduating college with an Automotive Technology degree, getting multiple certifications, working in the field for over 8 years, and obtaining so many skills, I realized that I really didn't love what I was doing. So after years of searching for a different career, I decided to go back to school and major in something that I've had a love for since I was about 4 years old and that's a polar opposite of what I thought I wanted to do...Wildlife Biology. That being said, I am now enrolled in a university and am waiting for school to start.

AAAAANNYYYWHO, I'm now done with my ranting and thank you for reading this and letting me vent, if you did. Leave some comments if you feel so inclined and share the hobbies you guys have.

Most reactions

Back