So many lenses for macro photography...

Adri

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone! New here, first post. :)

I currently have the Nikon D50, which has been a great camera for me to learn with, however I am beyond ready to make a major upgrade. In about 3 weeks I will have the Nikon D600, which means I can start thinking about a new lens for something I have recently discovered...macro photography, esp. insects. When I went to my aunt's house a few states away, she let me use her D7000 with macro setup. If I remember right, and I could be wrong here, she was using two extension tubes with a 40mm macro lens.
I would like to think that for my first time ever photographing bugs, I did alright...

$DSC_5954.jpg

$DSC_6088.jpg

$DSC_6112.jpg

Since then I have known that macro/insect photography is something I really want to get into, it is so much fun! While my aunt's lens/tubes were nice, the working distance was way too small for my liking. I was extremely close to the bugs - the wasps and bees didn't mind, but a lot of the bugs I wanted to photograph would not let me get close enough. I'd really like a lens that allows some space between myself and the bugs.
I am hoping for suggestions on the best macro lens for my situation. The camera I'm getting, D600, is full-frame so I want an FX lens. Though I have no problem with non-Nikkor lenses such as Sigma, Tamron, etc. I have not actually owned one before.

Unfortunately, I'm a student so my budget isn't great. I'll be paying for the lens with whatever I get for holiday money from my family, then(if necessary, probably will be) I will be saving up the 40 bucks I get each month until I can afford it. So, the more expensive the lens, the longer it will take me to be able to afford it! And I tend to be impatient. :D I swear photography has to be one of the worst hobbies you can have if you don't have money, but it's so much fun...
I am thinking somewhere around the $300 range is best. I will buy my lens used, from a high rated eBay seller or a trusted company such as Amazon, Cameta, Adorama, etc.

Anyone have some suggestions for lenses for me to look into?

Macro set up gets expensive. You can start with reverse lens technique, so you need a reverse ring, may be with an extension tube. Next is the lighting aid. Without external lighting aid, it's hard to capture any still action unless you are under a bright sun. I am not familiar with lighting. You can probably get some expensive but awesome setup, or DIY something. To me, if the technical part becomes so challenging that it kills the fun of doing it, then I may lose interest in it.

Well, I will have the D600 which works very very well in low light, meaning I can take pictures in the shade by raising the ISO without any noise issues in order to get a faster shutter speed, for capturing moving insects. My aunt's camera didn't have any lights on it so I'm really not worried about that at this point. I will have a hot shoe/slave flash that I can DIY a macro light setup with.
I really don't want to reverse a lens, right now I'm just wanting suggestions for a true macro lens. :)

Oh, and a lens that has good autofocus(whether it's using my camera's motor or a motor in the lens doesn't matter) is a must-have for me.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back