So many options, help me choose?

Discussion in 'Mirrorless Cameras' started by Scrappy, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Scrappy

Scrappy TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi! Long time lurker :) I'm seriously considering making the switch to a mirrorless camera, but there are so many options I'm feeling stuck on the decision making.

I've been using Canon SLRs since my first film version in the late 90's. Currently I have a Rebel T3i. Lenses include the kit lens, a 70-300mm telephoto I rarely use, a nifty fifty that used to be my go-to for snapping photos of my kids, and my current favourite 85mm f/1.8

I find that I'm moving into a stage of my family life where I just don't want to lug around my big DSLR everywhere. I find myself resorting to taking photos on my phone, which is a crappy alternative. I'm considering a mirrorless camera as something I can fit in my purse, get great photos, but still have the option of a decent portrait lens when I want to do the kids' school photos, etc.

So I'd like one with a good everyday kit lens equivalent, that is fairly low profile for ease of carrying it around. And a good portrait lens option that won't totally break the bank. Is a Cannon mirrorless with the lens adaptor worth it in other aspects, and just keep my beloved 85mm? I've read conflicting opinions on the quality of using an adaptor. Or can I get a decently comparable portrait lens option on a better overall camera? Oh, a viewfinder is a must.

As for "affordable" let's say I'd like to keep it around $1000 overall, but might consider a bit more if it's really worth it.

Thanks so much or any advice or opinions!

2. robbins.photo

robbins.photo Yup, It's The Zoo Guy Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Egads... I thought we sprayed for lurkers just last month.... guess we are going to have to have a chat with that exterminator... lol

So I'd probably look at something like a Sony A6000 with the 16-50mm included and maybe add in a 50mm 1.8 prime.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Causapscal

Causapscal No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree with robbins.

Either, the Sony works fine with all others lenses, like Canon, Olympus, Minolta, etc. You can find great lenses at low-cost price.

:encouragement:

4. cgw

cgw No longer a newbie, moving up!

I'd give Fuji a look. The XE-2s kit comes in at around a grand. Their kit zoom isn't half bad and makes very compact outfit.
    The X100T is another option. The 16mp X-Trans II sensor and fixed 23/2 Fujinon are killer.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I second the Fuji X100T. I had the chance to play around with one and really liked it. Simple, classic, fun to shoot. Electronic viewfinder is wonderful.

6. pixmedic

pixmedic I am the Lord thy Mod Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Love my fuji x-e2.
    Fuji has a fantastic lens selection, good software support, great camera options.
    Just picked up an x-a2 as a backup, and will be looking at the x-pro2 soon.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Gary A.

Gary A. Been spending a lot of time on here!

I evolved from FF 1Ds to mirrorless MFT and now to mirrorless APS-C. I shoot Fuji. Fuji is a niche, boutique type camera designed for those who shoot manual. The manual controls for ISO, aperture, shutter, et al, all reflect this niche. As a boutique type camera they are more expensive than a similar Nikon or Canon.

But, (the big but), they are extremely well built and their XF lenses, at a minimum, are equal to my 'L' lenses.

The X100T would most like fit the bill nicely for your needs. It comes with a fixed, prime lens, rendering standard portraits difficult without cropping. But Fuji does make screw in lens converters which will convert the fixed 35mm (FF/35 millimeter equivalent) to a 50mm FF/35 millimeter equivalent and another converter that will change the FOV to a 28mm FF/35 millimeter equivalent.

If you desire a camera with interchangeable lens capability, the standard XF kit lens, 18-55 XF is wonderful. Extremely sharp with OIS. The Fuji X-E2 is a small camera that punches outside of its weight.

The A6000 is a very nice camera and is quite affordable and will perform and deliver a great photo ... but it isn't a Fuji.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Scrappy

Scrappy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you so much for the replies and suggestions. I'm going to look further into the cameras you recommended, it's good to have a place to start focusing.

9. PropilotBW

PropilotBW Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I think Olympus OM-D E-M10ii would be a good fit for what you are asking for. If you're looking for low-profile and easy to carry around, it definitely fits that description. (I shoot the EM-5 Markii and love it!).
    I would add the E-M10 Mark II into your list of cameras to research.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Causapscal

Causapscal No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Agree with Propilot, The body with M.Zuiko ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ or 17mm f1.8 :icon_thumright:

11. beagle100

beagle100 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  12. Drive-By-Shooter

Drive-By-Shooter No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

do you have lenses you want to keep? if they are full frame, then consider the sony a7 with a lens adapter. else, the Olympus OM-D E-M1 is amazing for its size and is close to your budget.

• Like Like x 1