So Stoked!

CanadiaNikon

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
On Friday last week, I picked up my new D7200 and 35mm 1.8G prime.

D7200.jpg

Beautiful camera body and a great step up from my D5100.

Last edited:
Congrats! I use to have that 35 1.8G, it was an awesome lens on my D7000..I hardly took it off. Enjoy.

Nice! I've heard many good things about the D7200.

Jake

On Friday last week, I picked up my new D7200 and 35mm 1.8G prime.

View attachment 100904

Beautiful camera body and a great step up from my D5100.
Congratulations! Please post from time to time on the transition to the 7200. I have a D5100 and am thinking of the upgrade. I really want the better viewfinder, which hardly anyone mentions, but wonder how many times you will miss the articulated screen.

How different is it from my D7100?

These are the differences that I am aware of:
  • Different sensor (rumored to be Sony vs. Toshiba)
  • Expeed 4 processor vs. Expeed 3 processor
  • Rumored quicker, more responsive auto-focus
  • Higher ISO sensitivity (100-25600 native)
  • Better battery life (1110 shots)
  • Larger buffer
  • Wi-fi
  • Bracketing up to 9 frames
  • Picture control in 1/4 steps as opposed to full steps

Congratulations! Please post from time to time on the transition to the 7200. I have a D5100 and am thinking of the upgrade. I really want the better viewfinder, which hardly anyone mentions, but wonder how many times you will miss the articulated screen.

I never really used the articulated screen that often so I may not miss it. I am already loving the viewfinder, the 24 MP sensor and having controls at the touch of a button as opposed to in a menu.

enjoy it! I rented one and now want to buy one as my primary wildlife body

How different is it from my D7100?

These are the differences that I am aware of:
  • Different sensor (rumored to be Sony vs. Toshiba)
  • Expeed 4 processor vs. Expeed 3 processor
  • Rumored quicker, more responsive auto-focus
  • Higher ISO sensitivity (100-25600 native)
  • Better battery life (1110 shots)
  • Larger buffer
  • Wi-fi
  • Bracketing up to 9 frames
  • Picture control in 1/4 steps as opposed to full steps
Nice but the differences between the D7100-7200 aren't exactly heart-stopping given the price spread--see Thom Hogan's review of the latter.

As far as I can tell, as of tonight, Hogan has not yet reviewed the D7200, but just talked about the specifications of the D7200. The camera was announced March 2,2015; Hogan wrote about it the same day, march 2. Nikon Introduces D7200 DSLR byThom Thom Hogan

He has no review of it.

Actually looking at the D7200's performance against multiple other cameras, it is clear that there has been a noticeable improvement in image quality, and of course a major increase in buffer. Nikon D7200 First Impressions Review Digital Photography Review and Nikon D7200 First Impressions Review Digital Photography Review

Compare the D7200 when shot at ISO 100, and then deliberately under-exposed by 1,2,3,4,5,and 6 EV, and then the images brightened in software; the D7200 offers performance that is far,far,far better than Canon FF sensor cameras, and is very close to the D750's capabilities. (Meaning a bit better than the D750 at +5EV, but noting the ISO discrepancy...)

As dPreview write in its ISO performance first-look, "This leaves the D7200 as the best-performing APS-C camera we've seen in this regard." (page 9)

As far as LACK of noise and artifact production when "lifting" underexposed shots, dPreview says the D7200 can be set to 100 ISO, and under-exposed to the equivalent of IS0 3,200, and a 5 EV software push produces results that are "essentially indistinguishable from the native ISO 3200 shot". They state that the D7200, "is probably the closest to being a truly ISO invariant camera that we've seen."

In other words...the sensor performance of the D7200 is fully rid of that strong, obvious, horrible pattern noise that appears in the D7100 shots on heavy shadow recovery shots. The way I look at it, ISO 3200 on the D7200 is well over TWICE as clean as on the D7100 with a software push.

Again..take a look at how good the D7200 is against the D7100, Nikon D750, Nikon D 810, Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 50D SR (the new 50-MP model). D7200 vs Contemporaries.jpg photo - Derrel photos at pbase.com

Most reactions

Back