The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is a street shot, done in color, that isn't a huge message but just a little item.
Placing the principal center of interest, not at the thirds, but at the lower corner emphasizes his relative stature to that of the buildings and that mirrors his posture as he gapes up at the building.
The vertical lines emphasize the height and the massive looking facade emphasize how big the building compared to his frailness, his clothes make him stand out against the tannish wall and his red hat emphasizes the tilt of his head as he looks up.

added

Putting the principal subject away from the typical thirds position is a way to engage the viewer.
A viewer is expecting important things to be in certain places and by placing the subject otherwise in a way that is congruent with the overall feeling of the picture, it emphasizes that feeling.
I think this is a reasonable demonstration of "using a 'Rule' of composition until it is right to break it."

Shot with D700 24-70 at 70 f 4.5 at 1/400

_0797576-Edit_zpsac620646.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting photo. Have you tried black & white conversion?

I like his expression...it looks like he is yelling at the heavens about his ailment (whatever caused him to use crutches)

I like his expression...it looks like he is yelling at the heavens about his ailment (whatever caused him to use crutches)
Or he sees something he wants, but it's high up and he's wondering how to get to it.

Including the environment was a good choice.

Might be looking out for bird droppings

Looking up with his mouth open is a fine way to catch them.
I meant to say - and will add - that putting the principal subject away from the typical thirds position is a way to engage the viewer.
A viewer is expecting important things to be in certain places and by placing the subject otherwise in a way that is congruent with the overall feeling of the picture, it emphasizes that feeling.
I think this is a reasonable demonstration of "using a 'Rule' of composition until it is right to break it."

Good shot LEw. I like the way the man is juxtaposed against the massiveness of the building. My question though is, "Why is it so dark and low-contrast?" Does that rendering help the shot, or hold it back?

Good shot LEw. I like the way the man is juxtaposed against the massiveness of the building. My question though is, "Why is it so dark and low-contrast?" Does that rendering help the shot, or hold it back?

Why it is, is easy.
It was taken in a back street canyon in a very deep shadow.
I tried increasing the contrast and it didn't seem to do much.
This picture is a small bite of interest, not a mouthful, I'm afraid.

Interesting shot, I like the composition but it does not give me a lot to chew on - but you already knew that. Still, great capture.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back